15

Music of the Day
Twilight Melody by Adrian von Ziegler
¥

It was mid morning, the temperatures rising to a mere 63°. It was early spring in the town of Boloxi, Mississippi. A young Mary Alice Brandon was lounging on the porch swing, reading a small book. She hummed a cheerful tune, ignoring the periodic angered shouts from inside the house.

Thomas Brandon was an angry man, prone to violent outbursts and physical abuse. He was a jeweler, but his customer base was seldom. His taste was that of a high class family, but he was stuck with being considered 'middle class'. He provided for his family, of course. But it was their fault for costing him so much money.

The whiskey didn't help like he would always claim. In actuality, it just made everything worse. His ever loyal wife, Lillian Brandon, was the barrier between his drunken rages and their children. Her kindness and big heart was passed down to their children, Lillian was glad of that. She honestly wouldn't have been able to handle two more of her husband. But, she kept her thoughts to herself.

Mary Alice jumped, a crash echoing their "family" home. She eyed the front door with distaste as she continued to hear her father rant and rave. It wasn't long before Cynthia Brandon, Mary Alice's older sister, came trotting up the porch steps.

"Alice! Are you reading the book I gave you?" Cynthia grinned.

Little Alice presented the book with a simple grin, her eyes saying, "I'm obviously reading a book."

Cynthia was three years older than Alice, and the two sisters absolutely adored each other. There were sisterly arguments here and there, as with any siblings, but they decided that it was up to them to fill their home with as much love and happiness as possible. Cynthia was the second barrier, although she was never harmed.

Thomas was painfully obvious with favoritism. Cynthia was his pride and joy, his first born. And she played that part, to protect her younger sister. Her soft musings, her intellectual words that would distract her father from his temper tantrums. That way he wouldn't beat Lillian or Mary Alice. She would take the blame for the minor inconveniences, she would take the harsh words and insults, so that little Alice didn't have to.

And sweet Alice, would always be there to make Cynthia laugh, to be joyful. They learned that being in a family takes work, more work than was necessary. But, their father would never break them. Because they had each other.

Cynthia had crawled next to her sister, whispering excitedly. "What part are you at?"

"Oh, we've met the tin man. When are we going to meet the wonderful wizard?" Alice gripped the book, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, tightly.