03

Music of the Day
Fairy tale, loona app, under soothing piano
¥

BELLA had glued herself to the cushioned chair. In the den of her home, she had resided for nearly six weeks. Charlie had called Cynthia one day, just giving her an update. He wasn't really sure why he decided to keep her updated, but the woman showed true concern for his daughter. Cynthia came to visit every couple days. The visits were short and sweet, only taking up an hour of everyone's time. Most days are spent with the three sitting in the den together for a short while. Then Charlie would leave, leaving the girls to themselves for the rest of the visit. 

At first, Cynthia would do all the talking, only earning a few nods or shakes of the head. She was an optimistic, little thing. She never gave up. Even if Bella didn't speak, Cynthia was still healing her. Cynthia had already charmed the house. It was a simple link charm, letting Cynthia know immediately if something were ever to go wrong here at the Swan residence. She imprinted a sigil into the wood of the chair that Bella was always sitting in. It was a special sigil, created specifically for Bella. It was to maintain her state, keep her from falling deeper into the dark. Magic can only do so much, your intentions have to be clear. She also imprinted the same sigil on Bella's bedroom door frame. 

Bella finally opened up a little when Cynthia started sharing her childhood bedtime stories. These stories were Fae stories, filled with magic and wonder. The names of the creatures weren't something that Bella had ever heard of. Cynthia had noticed that Bella was staring intently during one of the stories, practically on the edge of her seat. Cynthia was also healing Bella by just talking to her, spending time with her. She did what the Fae did with their magic. Projected it. Fae magic was soft, ancient, love. That ability is common among all the Fae, it comes naturally. 

Cynthia and Charlie were pleasantly surprised when Bella came into the front room to greet Cynthia with a hug. It was the week before Halloween. Or Samhain in Cynthia's case. It was one of her favorite holidays. 

"So, Samhain is next week. I was wondering if I could bake here for you?" Cynthia suggested. 

"Samhain?" Bella's soft voice muttered.

"Halloween," Cynthia clarified. 

"Oh, I guess that's the, uh, pagan version, huh?" Charlie guessed. 

Cynthia had always been open about her beliefs and practices. Charlie was more than accepting, just a little skeptic. Cynthia nodded at his question. Her plan was simple, bake a couple of pies with Charlie and Bella, carve pumpkins and do some spellwork. Bella never really commented on Cynthia's beliefs, but she did find it interesting. Bella found herself hanging out with Cynthia and her father, instead of sulking off into the den like usual. 

Pretty soon after, Charlie had been called into work, leaving Cynthia and Bella to themselves once again. The two women shared a soft look. "It's good to see you up and about," Cynthia smiled. 

Bella nodded shyly. "Yeah, yeah. It feels good."

"Have you eaten today?"

"Not yet," Bella sighed. 

"Something light, then, yeah?" Cynthia made her way to the cupboards. She quickly picked out a can of chicken noodle soup, throwing it in a saucepan. She continued to conversate while the soup heated on the stove. 

"How have you been feeling lately?" Cynthia asked.

"Less tired, I've started talking more to Angela," Bella informed. 

Cynthia smiled in satisfaction. Bella was making progress, little steps at a time. Bella talked about Angela a few times. Cynthia knew her to be sweet, kind and quiet. She was glad that Bella was finding more friends to talk to. She stirred the soup periodically.