02

Music of the Day
Shadow Wisps by Brandon Fiechter
¥

HADASSAH had left the door open and pushed the sofa close to the hearth fire. Cynthia made her way inside, the wisps ghosted toward the sofa and placed Bella down. The poor girl was still shivering, so Cynthia threw on another log. Hadassah came into view, hovering over Bella worriedly. Cynthia put a finger over her lips, signalling for her to be quiet. Cynthia went to her home phone that hung on the hallway wall, dialing the non emergency number.

"Forks Police Department, how can I help you?"

"Hi, this is Cynthia Brandon. I live at 222 La Push Road."

"Oh! Is everything alright Ms. Brandon?"

Cynthia smiled into the receiver. "I'm fine, but I happened to be out on my property and found a young woman. She's practically unconscious."

"Is it Bella?" The dispatcher suddenly asked.

"Why, yes. That's all that she could tell me."

"Thank goodness. Thank you so much, Cynthia. That's the Cheif's daughter. I'll send him to you."

Cynthia's eyes widened in surprise. What on earth was she doing all the way out here? "Of course. Have a good night."

Cynthia waited for the Chief to show, staying near Bella the entire time. Faelynn and Bayard flitted over, fussing over the poor girl. Faelynn landed on the sofa, just in front of Bella's face.

"Is she going to be okay?" she asked.

Cynthia glanced down at Bella. "I believe so. I don't see any serious injuries."

Bella suddenly gasped, jolting upright. Cynthia jolted back, Faelynn and Bayard had disappeared. Bella started to panic, her eyes darting around her surroundings.

"Hey, hey," Cynthia announced herself softly. "It's alright."

"W-who are you?" Bella gasped. Her eyes darted to where Faelynn had been standing.

"My name is Cynthia. You're in my home. I found you outside in the woods," concern laced Cynthia's tone.

Bella wiped her face, a nervous habit, Cynthia picked up. Bella didn't say anything more.

"Are you in any danger?" Cynthia asked after a moment.

Bella quickly shook her head, her voice wavered. "N-no. I don't think so."

Cynthia sighed. She could tell Bella was timid, quiet. She stood and made her way to kitchen, grabbing a bowl and got a ladle full of stew. She grabbed a spoon and handed the bowl to Bella.

"You should have something on your stomach. Even if its just a few bites," Cynthia smiled.

Bella eyed the bowl, hesitating. She eventually took it, seeing as Cynthia just stood there with the bowl outstretched to her. Cynthia wasn't going to move until Bella took the bowl. Bella took the bowl with a sigh of defeat. "Thanks," she muttered.

As Bella was eating, Cynthia could feel the magic hum. There was a vehicle coming up her very long drive. She hoped it was the guests she was expecting. She turned to Bella, who had noticed a pair of headlights in the distance.

"Who is that?" Bella questioned.

"You're search party," Cynthia said with a grin. "You've been missing nearly twelve hours, I assume. It is passed midnight after all. I called the department to let them know that I found you. Your dad's the chief of police, did you know that?"

Bella stammered over her words, unable to form a sentence. "I- Yeah...Did- Wha-"

Cynthia spun away from the flabbergasted girl, sending a pointed look to Bayard, who had been hiding behind her sugar bowl this entire time. The sweet william faery darted out of the window, leaving a subtle trail of pixie dust. Bella did not miss the tiny interaction, but she didn't comment on it.

The vehicle that pulled to the end of the drive was a police cruiser, Cynthia sighed in relief. Bella should be going home safely now. Two men got out of the vehicle. One was who she assumed was the chief; he was wearing the uniform, of course (and the stereotypical mustache). The other was obviously of native american descent, wearing pants and a pull over. They crossed the bridge over Sol Duc river, having to leave the cruiser on the other side. Cynthia opened the door for them when they finally reached the archway.

"Good evening, Chief," she greeted warmly.

"Ms. Brandon," the Chief greeted back.

Cynthia gestured them inside, shuffling back over to where Bella was sitting. The Chief let out heavy breath of relief, pulling Bella up in an awkward hug. "Are you okay?" he mumbled into her hair.

Bella slithered out of their awkward embrace, nodding. "I'm fine, dad. Cynthia's been really sweet."

"I made sure she got some food. She doesn't remember much at the moment, but it'll come back with time," Cynthia offered.

The truth was, Cynthia knew what had happened. She had been through a traumatic experience. Not only did the poor girl wake up in a strangers' house, but the words she had kept chanting meant that someone left her. And it broke her. Cynthia hoped that her words would keep the Chief from relentlessly questioning her, to give Bella time to grieve.

Bella peeked back at Cynthia from the corner of her eye, sending a confused gaze. The Chief nodded numbly, getting the message fairly quickly. "Thank you so much, Ms. Brandon."

"Please, call me Cynthia," she offered her hand.

"Charlie," he smiled, shaking her hand. Charlie's face suddenly morphed into surprise, he started to stammer. So, that's where Bella got it from. "Sorry, sorry. This is Sam Uley, he's been helping me out tonight."

Sam grimaced slightly when Charlie clapped him on the back, then nodded in greeting. Cynthia smiled. "Nice to meet you, Mr. Uley."

Cynthia could tell that Sam was uncomfortable being the follower. Sam had an authoritave aura around him. Cynthia knew of the shapeshifter pack in La Push; the Fae have superior knowledge. Was Sam the alpha? Cynthia made sure he truly saw her irises. With nearly countless long years with the Fae, she had gained several gifts from them. The use of Fae magic was one of them. Her irises shimmered, iridescent colors shined, and Sam immeidately knew who she was. There were rumors of a witch that lived near by, that she was involved with the Fae. Sam didn't have much knowledge on the Fae, just that they were tricky and chaotic. Those stories came from his elders, so he believed them to be true. And he was in her house.

"Alright, kiddo," Charlie grunted, and started to guide Bella toward the front door.

"Oh!" Cynthia squeaked. She darted to her bedroom and scribbled her phone number on a sticky note. She came back, handing it to Charlie. "Let me know how she's doing."

Charlie nodded, thanking her once again, and towed Bella off into the night. Sam stayed behind for a moment. "Are you the alpha?" Cynthia asked, not taking her eyes off of Charlie and Bella.

"Yes."

She hummed in thought. "I look foward to officially meeting with the elders. Let me know when they're free," she met his eyes. "You can get my number from the chief."

Sam nodded once, jogging after Charlie. Cynthia sighed, she suddenly felt sluggish walking back inside. She was exauhsted, being used to being in bed by 11pm. She dared to look at the clock, groaning. It was 1:13 in the morning. She went straight to her bedroom, not giving cleaning up a second thought. She was asleep before her head hit the pillow.