07

Music of the Day
A Nostalgic Dream by Peter Gundry
¥

IT was nearing Christmas, or Yule for Cynthia. The cottage was decorated to the fullest extent. There were so many lights, wreaths, garland, ornaments, everything you could possibly think of. Cynthia was hanging up a few more lights when Faelynn flew over.

"Bella isn't awake yet!"

Cynthia looked to her little pixie with confusion. Bella wasn't awake yet? She was going to be late! Today was her last day of school before Christmas break started. Cynthia finished the last hook, dusting off her hands and called forth a circle of mushrooms. She was transported into Bella's bedroom. Faelynn was right. Bella was still sound asleep.

Cynthia tiptoed to the edge of Bella's bed, gently nudging her awake. "Wakey wakey."

Bella stirred, squinting against the sunlight that poured into her bedroom. "Cyn?"

"You're going to be late," Cynthia warned with a smile.

Bella's eyes widened in alarm, tumbling out of bed. "Shit!"

Cynthia giggled, while Faelynn appeared, helping Bella get clothes ready.

Bella had gotten to school just in time. The two sisters had made a plan to get together right after school. Cynthia was in the process of planning a trip, a trip that Bella had been aching for for a long time. She had already gotten permission from Charlie; he had no idea where they were going, but he was happy with it, nonetheless.

The next step would be getting permission from the Fae Queen. That's not an easy feat, considering her history with outsiders. Cynthia had already sent a message to Faeland, all that was left to do was wait for a response.

As Cynthia was waiting for Bella at her cottage, a bit of information whizzed through her mind.

Visitor.

Cynthia's eyebrows came together. She wasn't expecting any visitors around this time. She peeked at the clock, it wasn't time for Bella to get out of school yet. She walked to her front door and froze. She couldn't believe her eyes. She wrenched the door open, nearly taking it off the hinges.

"Rowena?"

There stood Rowena Brandon, holding a covered dish. She stood just foward of the archway, a shy smile on her lips. "Hello, dear."

Cynthia wasted no time in rushing to her grandmother, wrapping her up in a bear hug. It had been decades since they had seen each other. Rowena, slightly startled, relaxed into the embrace. She was fearful to visit, considering the incident with the Fae all those years ago. But she should have known better, she knew her granddaughter wouldn't have hated her. Cynthia had a temper, of course, but she was pure.

"I've missed you so much," Cynthia mumbled into Rowena's hair.

"Oh, I've missed you, too, my sweet girl," Rowena smiled, her scottish accent had come out thick.

They let go of each other, and Rowena presented the dish. "I made a Yule cake for you."

"Oh! Wonderful! Thank you," Cynthia grinned, she held it to the side of her, and a lone wisp appeared, carrying it upon the top of its dome.

"I see you're relationship with the Fae is still going strong," Rowena said skeptically, following Cynthia into the cottage.

"Absolutely," Cynthia said fondly. "We're family."

Rowena could plainly see the love in Cynthia's eyes. She couldn't help the small smile that appeared on her face.

"Well, I'm glad that you're happy."