04

Music of the Day
The Witch by Peter Gundry
¥

SURE enough, Cynthia was transported to her home. She walked in her front door just in time to hear the phone ring. She jogged to the hall, picking up the phone. "Hello?"

"Hey, Cynthia!" Bella's voice sounded.

"Oh, hey, Bella! What's up?" Cynthia grinned, she thought it funny that she was just missing Bella, and then she happened to call.

"Dad wants to go to the diner for dinner tonight. Would you like to come with us?" Bella asked shyly.

"Oh, definitely! I can meet you there."

"Cool. We'll be there at six," Bella informed.

"Roger that," Cynthia giggled, Bella right along with her.

Cynthia hung up the phone and rushed to the bathroom to take a quick shower. She dressed in the same vintage dress and cardigan, and braided her hair.

She picked a daisy on the way to her truck. Cynthia absolutely loved her truck. It was a 1999 Ford Explorer, a deep green and could turn on a dime. The drive to Forks was peaceful, calming. Cynthia loved driving under the canopy of trees, she felt secure.

It wasn't long before she pulled up to the familiar diner, immediately noticing Charlie's police cruiser. As she entered the diner, she spotted an excitable Bella flagging her down. Another pleasant surprise. Cynthia grinned widely at Bella's sheer joy, skipping over to their table.

"Look at that wonderful smile!" Cynthia whisper-yelled, attempting to pinch Bella's cheek.

Bella giggled, earning a swell of emotions in Charlie. "Stop, Cyn!"

Cynthia smiled even wider (if that were possible), her bottom lip trembled as a flurry of emotions ran through her. Bella had given her a nickname. Charlie was absolutely beaming.

Cynthia shook her head, composing her features. She plopped down in between Bella and Charlie. The three spent their time laughing and talking about absolutely nothing, it had been a long time since Bella or Charlie had laughed like this.

Charlie asked for the check, realizing how long they'd been there. Bella suddenly chirped up, looking mighty shy.

"Hey, dad? Can, uh, can Cynthia spend the night?"

Cynthia grinned, her eyes gleamed as she met eyes with Charlie. He smiled down at his daughter. "I don't mind at all, but where is she going to sleep?"

"Oh, I call Bella's bed!" Cynthia squealed.

"Hey!"

Cynthia and Bella had taken over the living room, suggled on the couch, wrapped up in a blanket cocoon, and had on a movie. A pint of ice cream sat between the two of them, with two spoons. Cynthia was propped up on the arm of the couch, and Bella was snuggled into her side.

The movie was nearing its end and Bella was slowly, but surely, falling asleep. Charlie had already gone to bed, so Cynthia had to coax Bella awake long enough for her baby, deer-legged friend to make it up the stairs. Bella whined as Cynthia nudged her awake.

"Come along, my precious zombie," Cynthia cooed.

Bella mustered a grin through her fatigue, barely managing a slurred "shut up". The two girls flopped on Bella's bed, easily falling asleep.

It was a few hours later that Cynthia was awoken. She heard whimpering, a few words here and there. Cynthia peeked over her shoulder, noticing Bella starting to thrash around. She was having a nightmare.  Cynthia shuffled closer to Bella, going to her ear and whispering sweet words. She projected the magic around them, and Bella was encased in the magical warmth. Her thrashing eased and her breathing evened out. Cynthia put her thumb on Bella's forehead and softly drug it up to her hairline, imprinting another sigil. This one was temporary, for peaceful dreams.