06

Music of the Day
The Old Bridge by Derek & Brandon Fiechter
¥

THE weekend passed by too quickly for the two women. Bella was over at the cottage for the next two days. She wanted to learn so much, and Cynthia was more than thrilled to be her teacher. A witch taking on a pupil is a very big deal. Grandmother Rowena would be so proud.

It was now Monday, Samhain. Or Halloween. Cynthia was already at Bella's house with Charlie. Bella's monster of a truck wouldn't start this morning, so Cynthia drove her to school. Now, she was just waiting to head back up there to pick her up. When the clock read 1:45, she headed down to the school.

Cynthia made it to the school before the last bell, so she waited on the hood of her truck. She brought out her journal, working on a beginner spell for Bella. She noticed a few students who spilled out of the school, sneaking out early, she assumed. The few students gawked at her for a moment, remembering the rumors of the town weirdo.

Of course there were rumors about Cynthia. She was almost nonexistent, considering no one knew where she lived, other than the police department, city council and the telephone company. Then, of course, Bella and Charlie. Well, she supposed the La Push pack knew now, too. Just like with Charlie, Cynthia was very open about her practices. That made her an outcast in the town. Some civilians didn't mind it, like Bella and Charlie. However, there are always those prejudice people who fear the unknown. She blesses them, because she feels sorry for them.

The shrill ringing of the bell jolted her to reality, her eyes snapping to the front doors of the school. The students shot out like bats out of hell. She finally spotted Bella, walking with a taller girl. She had light brown hair, with streaks of honey. She wore glasses; Cynthia thought they were adorable. She wondered if that was Angela. Cynthia flagged Bella down, a huge smile on her face. Bella noticed a crazy person waving erratically. When her eyes landed on Cynthia, she waved back just as erratically.

Bella jogged -slowly- with Angela in tow. A contagious smile appeared on Bella's face, she yelled in excitement, making some students whip around.

"Hey, Cyn!"

Cynthia slid off the hood of her truck, leaving her journal there. "Hey, Bells. Care to introduce me to your victim?"

Bella's cheeks flushed red, she sputtered a bit. "Sorry, Ange."

Angela smiled kindly. "It's okay, Bella."

"So, uh, Angela, Cynthia. Cynthia, Angela."

Cynthia offered her hand. "Nice to meet you, Angela."

Angela shook Cynthia's hand, smiling shyly. "You, too."

Bella, Cynthia and Angela talked for a little bit by the truck. Cynthia felt the magic around her grow curious; it was curious about Angela. She wondered, briefly, if the magic had plans for Angela. She was invited by Cynthia to celebrate with them, but Angela, unfortunately, had to pick up her twin brothers from school and watch over them.

The Swan residence smelled like an autumn bakery. The two girls were giggling nonstop, covered in flour and other things. Bella definitely had dough in her hair.

Charlie, Bella and Cynthia laughed together, just talking gibberish. The two pies, apple and pumpkin, were nearly all eaten. Who knew Bella could put away food like that? It had been a long time for her, bouncing back to her old self. Bella watched Cynthia and her father, with a fond smile.

Bella's smile widened as she came to her realization. She was happy again. She could think about Edward, and the rest of them, without wincing. Sure, it still hurt. And she still missed them, but she could move on. Her mind sneered back at her for just a moment. What if they come back? What if Edward comes back? Bella shook her head, still all smiles. She would cross that bridge when she came to it. There's no point in dwelling on the future. Live in the moment. Cynthia taught her that.