14

Music of the Day
Unicorns of Silverpath by Brandon Fiechter
¥

The trio appeared in front of the Cullen's house, where the rest of the family was waiting. Esme was the first to rush to Edward, throwing her arms around her son's neck.

"Oh, Edward!" She cried. "You'll never do that to me again! Do you hear me?"

Edward grinned crookedly. "Sorry, mom."

Bella had stepped to the side, letting the family have their reunion. She finally loosened her hold on Faelynn, and the little pixie uncurled herself. Bella held Faelynn up in cupped hands, speaking softly to the fae.

"Are you okay?"

Faelynn merely nodded, the tiny thing still traumatized. Bella's heart broke for the pixie, she caressed Faelynn's cheek with the tip of her finger.

"I'm so sorry, Faelynn," she whispered earnestly. Faelynn leaned into Bella's finger, grateful for the comfort.

"Go ahead and go home. Go to Cynthia, and I'll be right there," Bella said softly. Faelynn nodded once again, circling above Bella, before flitting off into the forest. The vampires were watching closely, and curiously, to the exchange.

Bella turned to see every single vampire looking at her much differently than they used to. Carlisle and Esme were looking at her in wonder, and gratefulness for saving their son. Rosalie still gazed down at her, still indifferent. But her eyes were alight with curiosity. Emmet was also looking on in curiosity. Alice and Jasper were pressed together, Alice had excitement brewing inside her. Jasper seemed more protective over Alice.

And Edward, his shock hadn't left his face. He spoke carefully to Bella, like he would scare her off. "What did... Rowena... mean when she said that you had been summoned?"

"I have to appear before the Fae courts," Bella informed, nonchalant. "I have to go."

"Wait, Bella," Esme strode over to her, wrapping her in a hug. "Thank you so much, we owe you."

"Hardly," Bella chuckled. "It was nothing."

Alice scoffed playfully, earning a wink from Bella.

"Bella," Rosalie called softly. Bella turned her attention to the blonde beauty. "I would like to apologize to you. For being so hateful to you, to both of you. I'm very grateful that you went to go save my brother. Can you forgive me?"

Bella was quiet for a moment, contemplating. Honestly, Bella was a little angry with Rosalie, for jumping the gun. Had Rosalie wait, or confirm with Alice, this wouldn't have happened. Jasper cocked his head to the side, feeling Bella's anger, then it dissipated.

"Of course," Bella said slowly. She didn't smile.

She turned away then, calling for a portal. The vampires' attention was brought to the ground when a circle of mushrooms sprouted. Bella stepped in the circle, not even acknowledging Edward calling for her. She just disappeared with a pop.

The brunette appeared on the cobblestone path leading up to Cynthia's front door, just underneath the archway. She walked in, finding Cynthia sitting at the kitchen table. Cynthia jumped to her feet and stride over to Bella, throwing her arms around her.

"Bella!" Cynthia smiled a watery smile, looking her in the eyes. "I'm going to kill you."

Bella laughed through the tears, wiping at her face. "Faelynn?" She asked gently.

Cynthia's smile faded, morphing into a sneer. "Jane. Jane is the one who hurt her. That little bitch hurt my baby."

Bella grasped her sister's hand, out of fear, anxiety. Cynthia squeezed back. Turning back to the table, Cynthia slowly sat back down. Bella followed, sitting next to her.