16

Music of the Day
Moonflower Forest by Brandon Fiechter
¥

Edward walked aimlessly through the dark forest. He walked a leisurely pace, lost in his thoughts as he made his way foward. His brows furrowed as he felt helpless, lost. Had he truly fucked up so royally that he had lost the love of his life? Was this the end of their relationship? He sighed heavily, raking his hand through his bronze hair.

He came to a stop, sensing his sister near. She had been looking for him. He turned around, coming face to face with Alice.

"Hey, Alice," Edward greeted tiredly.

Alice quirked her mouth in response. She was still angry with him, and for good reason. When she found out that he had left Bella in gbe middle of the woods at night, it took all of her strength to not go track him down. Edward smiled slightly at the directions of Alice's thoughts.

"You're right to be angry," he agreed.

Alice hummed. "I came to kick your ass, but it seems that Bella beat me to it."

Edward frowned at the memory, his own fingertips grazing the tender spot on his cheek.

"Her reaction actually took me by surprise," Alice smiled.

"How is it possible? How did she harm me?"

Alice pursed her lips in thought. "I'm assuming it has something to do with these new creatures she's befriended."

"And the witch," Edward said. "Aro's thoughts were very loud. She's ancient and powerful."

Alice nodded, staring off into the distance. The night had blanketed the forest, but it didn't obstruct their vision in the slightest. She was curious about the witch, Rowena. She was curious about Cynthia, the girl who knew about The Volturi.

"Cynthia?" Edward wondered aloud, reigning Alice back to reality.

"Yes, Bella had me take her to Cynthia's house. Just before we came to find you."

"And she knew about The Volturi? Did you meet her?" Edward asked.

Alice shook her head. "I stayed by the car. She lives  on Sol Duc river. Something strange happened."

"What?" Edward pressed, since Alice hadn't continued.

Alice sighed. "I couldn't step across the bridge."

"I don't understand."

"I couldn't step across. I tried to follow Bella, but something was blocking the way. It was like an invisible barrier," Alice huffed. She didn't like not knowing.

Edward sighed, his confusion and frustration was clear. He gazed up at the night sky, casually counting a few hundred stars as he got lost on his thoughts again.

Humans can't harm vampires.

Edward glanced down at Alice. "You think she's not human anymore?"

This revelation unnerved him, but he wasn't sure why. He had sworn to keep her human, to live a normal human life. He did not wish the curse of immortality on her. His frozen heart clenched.

"We should speak to Carlisle," Alice suggested. "He has lore books."

"Lore on what?"

"Faeries."

●○●○●○●

Edward and Alice were greeted by Esme as soon as they stepped over the threshold. Her eyes immediately zeroed in on the mark on Edward's cheek.