PROLOGUE

September 1st, 1908

Aurora sat in a compartment reading the book of spells while stroking the fur of her black cat

Aurora sat in a compartment reading the book of spells while stroking the fur of her black cat. Of course, her father told her all about Hogwarts as he attended himself. There was a knock at the door of her compartment and she looked up to see a boy with sandy blonde hair. "Come in," Aurora said. The boy entered and closed the door. "Do you mind if I sit in here everywhere else is full?" The boy said. "Of course please have a seat." Aurora patted the seat next to her. "I'm Aurora Dumbledore." She said sticking her hand out for the boy to shake. "I'm Newton Scamander but I prefer to be called Newt." The boy said shaking her hand. "Well, it's lovely to meet you Newt. You can call me Rory if you'd like." Aurora said. "What are you reading?" Newt asked her. "Oh, just the book of spells." She told Newt. "Have you learned any?" Newt asked her. "Yes, would you like me to show you one?" She asked him. He nodded his head excitedly. "Lumos," Rory said and a light came out of her wand. "Wow," Newt said. "What house do you think you'll get into?" Rory asked him. "I don't know which house I'll get into though Hufflepuff seems nice," Newt said. "What house do you think you'll get into?" He asked her. "My father was in Gryffindor so maybe Gryffindor but I wouldn't mind any." The girl responded. "What's your cat's name?" Newt asked the girl. "His name is Salem. You could pet him if you like." She told him and so he did. "Do you have any pets?" Rory asked Newt. "No, but my mum does take care of Hippogriffs she's a Hippogriff breeder," Newt told Rory. "You like magical creatures too," Rory said. "I love them I want to learn all about them," Newt told her. "Newt I think we'll be great friends," she said.

They talked for a while longer than changed into their robes. Once they finished changing into their robes they got off the train and went into the boats that led to Hogwarts. Newt and Rory sat with two other kids on the boat.

They arrived at Hogwarts and waited outside of the Great Hall. The doors to the Great hall finally opened and the first years entered. Rory told Newt that the ceiling was bewitched to look like the sky. She also pointed out the old witches' hats that would sort them into their houses. "When I call your name you will come forward and I will place the sorting hat on your head and you will be placed in your house." The deputy headmaster said. "Aurora Dumbledore!" The man said. "Good luck," Newt told her and she sent him a smile.

The sorting hat was placed on her. "Ahh, I see you have special abilities to see the future you can be very powerful. Yes, I see cunning and ambition, wit and smart, loyal and kind. Lots of bravery too. I know Gryffindor!" The sorting hat yelled. Aurora walked to the Gryffindor table and sat down. "Newt Scamander!" Newts name was yelled next. He went up and the sorting hat was placed on him. "Very loyal and smart Hufflepuff!" The hat shouted. Newt sat at the Hufflepuff table and sent Rory a smile and she smiled back.
She had made her first friend.
-
1910
Rory and Newt were in a cupboard taking care of a raven chick when the door of the cupboard opened. Both Rory and Newt looked up to see a Slytherin girl who they recognized as Leta Lestrange. "Scamander, Dumbledore why aren't you packing?" Leta asked. "We're not going home," Newt told her. "Why not?" Leta asked. "He needs us," Rory told her. Leta went to get a closer look at what Rory and Newt were taking care of. "He was hurt," Rory said. "What is that?" Leta questioned. "A raven chick," Newt answered. "Isn't the raven your family emblem?" Rory asked the girl as she passed her the raven. "Yes, it is," Leta said.

--

"Alright, Newt be brave." Rory's dad told him. He was this year's DADA teacher. Newt stood in front of the Boggart as it turned into an office desk. "Well, that's an unusual one. So Mr. Scamander fears what more than anything in the world?" Professor Dumbledore asked. "Having to work in an office, sir," Newt responded. Everyone started to laugh except Rory and Leta. "Go ahead Newt." Professor Dumbledore told him. Newt raised his wand and pointed it at the desk and said "Riddikulus." It then turned into a mechanical dragon. "Well done. Leta, you're next." Dumbledore said. "Good luck Leta," Rory told her. Leta stepped up. "It's only a Boggart it can't hurt you. Everyone is scared of something." Dumbledore told her. "I've been looking forward to this." Rory heard a Gryffindor girl say from behind her. Leta's Boggart turned into what looked like a swaddled infant sinking into deep water. It upset Leta as class finished she ran out and Rory and Newt looked at each other with concerned faces.

After class, Rory and Newt decided to comfort her and they found her sitting there by the lake. "I don't want to talk about it," Leta said to the both of them. Newt and Rory just offered her their hands and took the girl to the Bowtruckle island where they both had befriended the bowtruckles. "They know us or they hide," Newt said sticking his arm out for a bowtruckle to climb on. "The only nesting in trees is wand quality. Did you know that?" Rory asked the girl. "And they have complex social lives. If you watch them long enough you realize." Newt said handing the bowtruckle to Leta. Rory felt her eyes fog and she knew what that meant. She was about to have one of her visions. "Newt!" Rory let out as her eyes started to fog. He looked at her and immediately caught her.

Leta looked at the girl with concern but Newt told her that she was okay. Rory saw what looked like a Slytherin girl experimenting with a Jarvey and a student getting hurt leading to a student getting expelled. Rory awoke with a gasp and saw Newt sat with his arms around her. "What did you see?" Newt asked her. "I saw someone experimenting with a Jarvey and it went wrong so a student got hurt and another one got expelled," Rory told him. She was still shaking so Newt rubbed her back to calm her down. "Sorry if I scared you Leta these visions always happen at random times. I'm a seer you see and I only see what happens, but I don't know when." Rory told the girl. "It's okay I know you can't control it," Leta told her.

What Rory didn't know was that her vision would come true soon.