Chapter 6

The Election

When Rory woke up she found the bed empty

When Rory woke up she found the bed empty. She brushed it off and got ready. When she finished getting ready she went downstairs and as she walked down the steps she saw Theseus holding the Qilin. "Morning love," Rory said as she reached Theseus she kissed his cheek. "Hello love,I was just holding him for Newt," Theseus told her as he greeted her back. "I see you've grown quite fond of her." Rory teased him. "Oh shut it, love," Theseus said as he handed the Qilin to Newt as he emerged from the case.

When everyone gathered their stuff together they all went back to Hogwarts to meet Albus in the room of requirements. As the door to the room opened they saw Bunty standing in front of what Rory assumed was a portkey with six briefcases on the floor. "Hey Newt what is this place?" Jacob asked. "The room we require," Newt said. "I trust you all have the tickets Bunty gave you? You'll need them to gain access to the ceremony. What do you think Newt and Rory? Can you tell which is one yours?" Dumbledore asked. "No." Newt and Rory said. "Good. I'd be worried if you could." Dumbledore told them. "I assume the Qilins in one of these cases," Lally commented. "Yes," Dumbledore said. "Well, which one is it?" Lally asked. "Which one indeed," Dumbledore said. "Ooh, it's like a three-card monte thing. Like a shell game thing. Like a short con." Jacob said but just got confused looks from the others. "Never mind, it's a muggle thing," Jacob said.

"Grindelwald will do anything within his powers to get his hands on our rare friend. Therefore, it's essential that we keep whoever dispatches on his behalf guessing, so the Qilin gets to the ceremony safely. If by teatime, the Qilin, not to mention all of us, are still alive, we should consider our efforts a success." Dumbledore said as he went up to a briefcase. "For the record nobody ever died playing three-card Monte." Jacob committed. "An important distinction. All right everybody chooses a case and we'll be on our way. Mr. Kowalski you and I will proceed together first." Dumbledore told Jacob. "Me?" Jacob questioned but Dumbledore just walked up to the port key.  Jacob bent down to grab a case but Dumbledore made a noise of protest so he went to the next one and when he got a look of approval he grabbed it and walked up to Dumbledore. "I'm looking forward to you educating me a little further on the finer points of three-card Monte. Oh and Rory please don't try and sacrifice yourself again." Dumbledore said as he took Jacob's hand and they transported him to Bhutan. Rory rolled her eyes at her father's comment.

"Well, good luck everybody," Bunty said. "Good luck," Newt said as he grabbed a briefcase and transported it away. "And you too Bunty girl," Lally said as she grabbed the briefcase and followed after Newt. "After you my love," Theseus said as he handed Rory a briefcase and let her go first. "See you Bunty," Rory said before she disappeared Theseus followed after her.

"It is not lost on those of us in leadership that we are currently a world divided. Each day brings talk of another conspiracy. Each hour another dark whisper. These whispers have only increased in recent days, with the addition of a third candidate. There is only one way to leave no doubt that a worthy candidate exists amongst the three you have been presented." Vogel said as he gave his speech. He then walked away and came back with a Qilin in his arms. "As every schoolboy and girl knows, the Qilin is the purest of creatures in our wonderful magical world. It cannot be deceived. Let the Qilin unite us." Vogel said.