Chapter 3

Berlin

Rory sat in a chair next to Theseus drawing while he was reading the daily post

Rory sat in a chair next to Theseus drawing while he was reading the daily post. "What did they say at the Ministry? Liu or Santos?" Newt asked.  "Officially, the Ministry takes no position. Unofficially, smart money's on Santos. Although anyone would be better than Vogel." Theseus said regarding the upcoming election. "Anyone?" Kama asked. "I don't believe he's on the ballot, Kama. He also happens to be a fugitive." Rory spoke up. "Is there a difference?" Kama asked her but Rory went back to drawing until noise came from the train's fireplace. "Spinning! Always with the spinning." Jacob said as he appeared out of the fireplace.  "Jacob. Welcome. You brilliant man." Newt said as he went to greet him. Rory and Theseus got up from their seats as well. "Sorry I was absolutely sure that Professor Hicks would convince you," Newt said as he stopped hugging Jacob and Rory came to greet him as well. "Hello, old friend. I've missed you." Rory said as she hugged Jacob. "I missed you too Rory," Jacob said.
"And well you know me. I can't pass up a good port key." Jacob said laughing.  Then Lally came through the fireplace. "Mr. Scamander, Ms. Dumbledore." Lally greeted. "Professor Hicks." They greeted back.  "At long at last." They all said. "So, Professor Hicks and I along with Rory, we've corresponded for many years, but we've never actually met. So her book on advanced charm casting is a must-read." Newt said. "Newt is far too kind. Fantastic Beasts is required reading for all my fifth years." Lally said.

"Now, let me make some introductions. Of course, you know Rory my best friend and partner in crime for as long as I can remember. And this is um Bunty Broadacre, our indispensable assistant for the past seven years." Newt introduced. "Eight years. And 164 days." Bunty corrected. "Told you," Rory whispered to Theseus as she went and stood next to him. "That doesn't mean she has a crush on him," Theseus whispered back. "As you can see indispensable," Rory commented. "And this is.." "Yusuf Kama. Pleasure." Kama said interrupting Newt. "And you, obviously already made Jacob's acquaintance," Newt said. "Newt," Theseus said as he cleared his throat. "So....So, this is my brother, Theseus he and Rory are together, and um he works for the Ministry." Newt said. "Actually, head of the British Auror Office," Theseus said. "No need to brag love," Rory said kissing Theseus on his cheek. "Ah! Well, I'll have to ensure my wand registration's up to date." Lally said. "Yes. Although strictly speaking, that doesn't fall within my purview." Theseus said.

Newt and Rory walked to the other side of the train gaining everyone's attention. Newt put the case down and waited for the rest to join them. "Oh," Bunty said and sat farther up where Newt and Rory were the rest following behind. "All right then. Well, I imagine that you're all wondering why you find yourselves here. And in anticipation of that, my father has asked that we convey a message." Rory said. "So, Grindelwald has the ability to see snatches of the future. So we have to assume he'll be able to anticipate what we do before we do it. So, if we have hope to defeat him and to save our world, to save your world, Jacob, then our best hope is to confuse him." Newt said. Everyone gave Newt and Rory a confused look. "Scuse me. I'm sorry. How do you confuse a guy that can see the future? Are you saying he's like Rory?" Jacob asked. "Yes. And Countersight." Kama told him. "Exactly. The best plan being no plan." Rory said. "Or, many overlapping plans." Lally caught on. "Thus, confusion," Newt said. "It's working on me right now," Jacob commented. "In fact, my father asked that I give you something, Jacob," Rory said as she pulled a wand out. "Tada." Trickett squeaks from out of Rory's pocket. "It's snakewood. It's Uh somewhat rare." Rory said as she walked up to Jacob handing him the wand. "Are you kidding me right now? Is this thing real?" Jacob asked grabbing the wand. "Yes. Well, it doesn't have a core, so sort of but yes." Newt told him. "It's sorta real," Jacob said as he examined the wand. "More importantly, where we're going, you'll need it. Now there's something for you too, I think Theseus." Newt said to his brother. "Teddy, please let go now. Teddy, please let go. No teddy will you behave? This is Theseus's." Rory said as she struggled to get what she needed for Theseus. It ended up with her accidentally throwing Teddy towards Jacob as he caught Teddy.