Chapter 7

Gnarlak

They all got out of the case and went to the balcony

They all got out of the case and went to the balcony. Rory was looking at the sunset when she felt someone's presence beside her. "Hey." She said softly. "Hello. Are you okay Rory?" Newt asked her. "Yes thank you. I just miss my father." Rory said putting her head on his shoulder. "You should come back to London with me," Newt told her. "I think I will I miss it." She said. Their conversation was interrupted when Tina spoke up. "Graves always insisted the disturbances were caused by a beast. We need to catch all of your creatures so he can't keep using them as a scapegoat." Tina told the pair. "There's only one still missing. Dougal, his Demiguise." Rory told her. "Dougal?" Tina asked with a laugh. "Slight problem is he's invisible," Newt said. "Invisible?" Tina questioned. "Yes um, most of the time he does um..." Newt trailed off. "How do you catch something-" "With immense difficulty." Rory interrupted Tina. Tina chuckles for a second then goes serious and gets close to Rory and Newt's faces. "Gnarlak," Tina said. "Excuse me?" Newt asked. "Gnarlak he was an informant of mine when I was an Auror. He used to trade in magical creatures on the side." Tina told him. "He wouldn't have interest in paw prints would he?" Rory asked. "He's interested in anything he could sell," Tina said.

-

Tina led them down an alley and into a stairwell where there was a lady painted on the wall. Rory, Newt, and Jacob watched as Tina and Queenie flicked their wands at themselves and transformed their clothes into beautiful dresses. Queenie then turned to Rory. "Ooh, I have the perfect dress for you, Rory," Queenie said then flicked her wand and a beautiful beige dress with flowers on it. "It's beautiful thank, you Queenie," Rory said admiring her dress. Newt took his wand out to fix his bowtie but it was still a little crooked so Rory fixed it for him. "You look beautiful by the way," Newt told Rory. "Thank you Newt," Rory said with flushed cheeks. Tina knocks on the wall three times and the eyes of the painting of the lady were replaced with a man's and he opened the door and they were greeted by 20's music. They all walked in and Rory saw a female goblin singing. Tina, Newt, and Rory were looking for a place to sit while Jacob and Queenie were at the bar. Tina, Newt, and Rory found a place to sit and Rory was looking around. "I've arrested half of these people in here," Tina said. "You can tell me to mind my business, but why aren't you an Auror anymore?" Newt asked her. "There was this boy his name is Credence he's a part of the second sellers. His mother beats him. She beats all those kids she's adopted, but she seems to hate him the most. she was the no-maj I attacked. It's how I lost my job. I went for her in front of one of her meetings with her crazy followers. They all had to be Obliviated. It was a big scandal." Tina said. Rory put her hand on top of Tina's to comfort her because she knew she didn't like talking about the situation. "It's him," Queenie whispered to Tina. Rory and Newt looked to their left and saw the goblin coming their way.

Gnarlak sat across from Rory and Newt. "So you the guy with case full of monsters huh?" he asked Newt. "News travels fast. I was hoping you could tell me if there have been any sightings. Tracks that sort of thing?" Newt asked him. "You've got a pretty big price on your head mister Scamander and that pretty lady beside you. Why should I help you instead of turning you in." Gnarlak said. "I take it I'll have to make it worth your while," Newt said. "Hmm, let us consider a cover charge," Gnarlak said. Newt took out some money and slid it to him. Gnarlak scoffed. "MACUSA is offering more than that." He said. Newt then took out a Lunascope. "I've got five," Gnarlak said then took a puff of his cigar. Newt took an egg out of his pocket. " Frozen Ashwinder egg," Newt said. "Oh, you see how we're.." Gnarlak trailed off as he saw two certain bowtruckles. "Wait a minute are those Bowtruckles? Right?" Gnarlak asked. Pickett and Trickett squeaked and went back inside their owner's pockets. "No." Both Rory and Newt said. "Oh come on. They pick locks, am I right?"Gnarlak asked. "No, you can not have them," Rory said. "Well good luck getting back alive, Mr. Scamander, Ms.Dumbledore, what with the whole MACUSA on your backs," Gnarlak says and Rory turns to face Newt and notices he looks down with a sad face. "Wait. You can only have one." Rory said getting Trickett out of her pocket. Newt grabbed her arm. "What are you doing?" He asked. "I'm saving creatures," Rory said her voice cracking. "But she's yours," Newt told her. "It'll be okay Newt I promise," Rory reassured him. She handed him to Gnarlak even though Trickett was hanging on to Rory. "Now tell us where the creatures are," Rory said looking down as she felt her tears coming. "Something invisible has been wreaking havoc around 5th Avenue. You might want to check out Macy's Department store. Might have what you're looking for." Gnarlak said examining Trickett. "Dougal," Newt says. Rory felt Newt grab her hand and she sent him a small smile.

"MACUSA is Coming!" A house-elf said and everyone started to scatter. "You tipped them off!" Tina said. Newt drags Rory out and she sees Jacob punch Gnarlak in the face before they disparate.

They apparated in front of the Macy's and Rory grabbed her wand and changed her clothes. "Rory!" Jacob shouted. She turned around and saw that he had Trickett with him. "You saved her!" Rory said hugging the man. Jacob then handed her Trickett and she immediately started apologizing to it. "I know your mad at me believe me I'm mad at myself but I had to do something," Rory told the bowtruckle on her shoulder. Newt then walked up to her. "She's mad at you?" Newt asked her. "Yes," Rory said looking at him. "You know you didn't have to do that for me?" He asked. "Yes I know but I had to help someway." She said. "Well thank you and you looked beautiful in that dress," Newt told her then went inside the building. Rory then soon followed and saw Newt was behind a Santa Claus so she hid with him, but as she was hiding and Newt had caught sight of the Demiguise she felt the familiar fog start to set in her eyes. "Newt!" she said then collapsed but he caught her. "I have to carry her but hurry follows him," Newt told Tina, Queenie, and Jacob. In her vision Rory saw the Obscurus kill Mary Lou then she saw a little girl in an abandoned house in a corner when the Obsurus burst again but. It kept replaying over and over again.

As they went upstairs Rory was still having her vision and Newt saw that Dougal was taking care of an Occamy. "What's it doing?" Tina asked. "He's babysitting," Newt told her. "What did you just say?" Tina asked. "This is my fault. I thought I had them all, but I guess I miscounted." Newt said. Newt then put Rory down on the floor so he could approach the Demiguise and put his case down. "Queenie watch her please," Newt told Queenie and she nodded her head. "It was babysitting that?" Tina asked looking at the Occamy. The Occamy purrs and puts its head down so Dougal can feed it. "Occamise are Chroanaptyixcs. So they grow to fill available spaces." Newt said. The Occamy moved its head towards Newt. "Mummy's here," Newt said. All of a sudden Rory could see through Dougal's eyes and saw what was about to happen. Queenie accidentally kicked an ornament just like Rory had seen. And Rory woke up with a gasp. She got up from the floor and tried to go to Newt but he got wrapped around by the Occamy. "Newt!" She yelled. The occamy started knocking this down and Rory moved Tina out the way and knocked them down to the floor. "We need an insect!" Rory yelled. "Huh?" Queenie questioned. "Any type of insect and a teapot! Find a teapot!" Newt yelled.

Tina and Rory were crawling on the floor and Jacob was trying to smash a cockroach. Newt was hanging onto the Occamy trying to avoid falling off. Tina found a teapot and Jacob finally caught a cockroach. "Teapot!" Tina yelled, but Jacob was trapped by the Occamy stuck on the other side. The Occamy was looking directly at Jacob. Jacob then threw the roach and Tina ran to be able to get the Roach as the Occamy let go of Jacob and Newt jumped down. Queenie and Rory took cover. Tina caught the roach and the Occamy started to shrink and Newt put the top on. "Chorantypixc," Tina said. "They also shrink," Rory said. Newt went to her and cupped her face. "Are you alright?" He asked her. "Yeah, Mary Lou is dead," Rory told him as he rubbed her cheek with his thumb. "And I somehow saw what Dougal saw," she told him. "As long as you're okay that's all that matters," Newt told her. She nodded her head and Newt hugged her.