𝟑𝟑

David's Pov

Three months.

I tilted my cognac to my lips and drank, enjoying the pacifying feeling of it burning through my blood and once again ridding me of my last shred of sanity.

The skies were black, soaked in dark ink, dotted with countless small stars twinkling and squinting. Underneath me was Manhattan's nightlife; the heavy traffic, cars honking, men swearing, lights twinkling, people moving, talking, laughing, hailing taxis—bright, happy, alive—the opposite of how I felt inside; Angry, bitter, hollow, weak, empty.

I lifted the glass to my lips and let the final drops slide into my mouth.

Today made it exactly three months since Dawn walked out of my life without looking back and If misfortune had a face, it would sure as hell be identical to mine.

I massaged my temple as I dragged my sorry self away from the window for a change of scenery and to refill my glass.

It was impossible not to miss her, and having to live without her turned me into this version of myself that I didn't understand. I never knew true infatuation until her. I never truly understood what it was to crave someone with your body and soul, so much that going without touching, kissing, or holding them completely ripped you apart.

I guess this was what love was. Even if you wanted to move on from the pain and hurt, you couldn't. It kept you stuck, it ate you up and let the pain sink deep into your bones with no way of getting it out.

I reached for my half-empty bottle. It was funny how I'd drank so much but remembered drinking nothing. I was just about to pour myself a tall glass when my phone beeped. I reached into my pocket, hope rising as I longed to see Dawn's name flash on the screen. But, of course, it wasn't; she was gone.

Tanner on the other hand became a thorn in my fucking flesh that just wouldn't go away no matter how hard I tried.

"What?" I asked, not bothering to hide my irritation.

"Where are you?"

"Work."

"It's late, why the hell are you still at work?"

When I didn't answer his question, he groaned. "Know what, I'm coming up." A car door slammed. He was already here. God, why wouldn't he just understand that I was tired and wanted to be alone?

Everyone was disturbing—my mother, Tanner, Luke, Stella— they were all up in my business, suffocating me with the care I didn't ask for. My wife left me but they treated me like she'd passed away and I was broken.

I scowled at my phone when he hung up and poured myself a glass. I wasn't fortunate enough to drink it before he barged into my office like an over-entitled bulldog.

"Where's your secretary?"

He was dressed casually today in grey pants and a white shirt.

"Gave her the rest of the week off," I stated, walking back to the window with the bottle and glass in my hand. She'd asked for it and I understood why. I was difficult and snapped at everyone and they all wanted to keep their distance.

He walked up to me. "Well, why are you still in the office, it's late."

"My new business plan needs revision," I said, taking a swing of my glass.