𝟐𝟗

Dawn's Pov

"I don't believe him." Paula deadpanned, taking a sip from her cup of latte as we walked back to the office from the examination room. "He's definitely hiding something."

"I think we both overreacted." I fended, munching on my pack of chips. "He said it was just a harmless hug."

"It didn't look harmless to me." She argued, walking into her office and dropping the latte down to shrug off her lab coat, exposing the snatched red dress she wore underneath. "She was so into him I thought they were going to kiss, plus—" She hung the coat around her chair and sat. "—they were having this really deep conversation. I think it was serious, I mean she was crying. He could have broken her heart or something."

I sat and munched on more chips. "I don't know but I find all this hard to believe."

"Of course, take your husband's side." She scowled with clear annoyance in her voice.

I exhaled. "I'm not taking sides. I'm just trying to enjoy my marriage."

Last week had been like a nightmare I couldn't wake up from. Now that I'd finally woken up from it, I didn't want to go back there. I could tell David was stepping up. Today, he'd aroused me with kisses and cooked me breakfast. It didn't taste good. He was a horrible cook indeed but I was happy, genuinely happy and I didn't want to ruin that by letting nasty thoughts seep into my mind again.

"Well, did he at least tell you why he was at the hospital?"

I shrugged. "I never asked."

She shook her head and released a breath of exhaustion.

"What?" I quizzed.

"Sometimes I honestly wonder how we're related."

"Stop okay, I just didn't think it was important. He might have been there because she got injured or something."

"No, I won't." Her eyes shifted to my cell phone. "Call him right now and ask him where he is."

My eyebrows arched. Sometimes I didn't get why my sister was so invested in my relationship with David. "He's at work. Where else would he be?"

"Call him." She persisted, folding her arm over her bountiful chest.

"There's no need, he's probably busy at work."

"You're stalling because you don't believe it yourself."

"I'm not."

She looked at me curiously, gauging me. I shook my head and sighed. "If I do this will you leave me alone?"

"I just might."

"Fine." Reluctantly, I picked up my phone and dialed his number. It rang but he didn't pick up.

"See, he's probably busy, Paula."

She wasn't convinced. "Try again."

My hand hovered over the green call button the next time. Exhaling, I pressed it and watched it ring a few times.

He picked up.

"Hey." His tone was clipped, businesslike. It made goosebumps rise on my skin. "How are you?"

"Fine," I put the call on loudspeaker. "You must be busy, I'm sorry for calling."

"It's alright. Did you need anything?"