Chapter 13

Ananya Prasad

"Wow. You sisters had a dramatic reunion", Sid chuckled.

"Oh, Shut up. You are just jealous that you have to share me with my sister", I told him indignantly.

"Please! Ask her to take you away. You are too loud and clingy. And yeah, you are the one who has to share your sister with the devil. You will come running back to me in no time", he told me lazily.

"We will see", I challenged him.

"You are happy and you seem content", he commented.

"Yeah. I am happy. My sister and I are talking regularly with each other. I am helping her with her wedding shopping. I couldn't ask more." I told him.

"I am glad that you guys sorted your issues", Sid told me.

"You know talking to Sharanya, I was thinking that parents are responsible for children's safety and their mental wellness, but, who will shield the kids from parents who are responsible for causing turmoil in kids' hearts? If you listen to my side of the story and Di's Side of the story you would think that we were raised by different parents. The first child would get all the legacy of their parents, the last child would get their love and pampering, what about the middle child? I don't know who to blame for our situation. Maybe my studying well was the reason my parents are hard on Sharanya. Sometimes I blame myself. Sometimes I blame my parents and sometimes I blame Di."

Sid answered, "You cannot blame anyone. From Sharanya's point of view, she didn't get the love she craved from her parents and she was not the brightest student in the school and you had both. So she blamed it on you for stealing her place from your parents. From your point of view, you didn't know why your sister hated you and no one can blame you for working towards your goal, not even Sharanya. It is partially your parents' fault, but not entirely because it is their first time raising three kids simultaneously. They don't have experience. But they have to check whether all the three kids were happy and are getting along well. Once they realized that you and Di are not on good terms, they should have sat you guys down and talked things out. But as I said, it is overwhelming to raise one kid, let alone three kids. If anyone has to take the blame, it should be your parents for not understanding their kids well and let the feud between you drag these many years. And if anyone has not to take any blame, it should be you as you were just studying to achieve your dreams. Sharanya also has some fault here. she may not have understood these things when she was a kid, but when she grew up, she should have at least realized that it is not your fault and could have stopped venting on you. But, you cannot blame her as well. The key point is there was no communication among you guys and which led to these circumstances. At least you and Sharanya cleared your misunderstanding. Just a small conversation will make everything simpler."

"Don't think too much and enjoy the marriage. I need to go. See you later", he left the cafeteria.

I too left for my shift.

Days are passing and the marriage is just in a week. There is no improvement in my situation with the devil. We still behave like we are strangers. But I developed a very good friendship with Karthik. Yes. I am at a stage where I can call him just by his name. I am still surprised at how easy-going Karthik is, which makes me wonder how the hell did he become friends with the devil.

God. I probably should call him by his name. My mom will kill me if I got caught calling him Devil and I don't want Sharanya to get upset.

Coming to Sharanya, I am happy. She is taking my suggestions for the wedding like decorations, her make-up, her dresses. She is also forcing me to go shopping for myself. My schedule is tight as I am working extra to compensate for my leaves for her marriage. I really have to go shopping and to a parlor. Both Di and mom gave me strict directions to get waxed and to have a haircut and whatnot. Things between mom and Di are good too. But with Dad, she is still having problems.

The wedding will be done in our farmhouse on the outskirts of Gurgaon. I only got leave for 3 days. I have to join back just the day after the wedding. The devil...oops....Arjun sir...uff....got leave for just one week. He will be joining three days after the wedding. Di and he are going to move to a flat near the hospital so that it will be easier for them. They are not even going on a honeymoon because there is a conjoined twins' surgery twenty days after the wedding. It will be really chaotic as the days get nearer to that surgery. It is a complicated one, so, everyone in Neurosurgery, Anesthesia, and Plastic Surgery are very busy.

Sharanya told me some things which are concerning. Devil's parents, Lakshmi aunty and Varun uncle are not happy with this marriage. Only Amit dadu supported him for this marriage. Arjun sir fought with them regarding this marriage. Apparently, his parents wanted a doctor as their daughter-in-law as she will be a help for him in managing the hospital. But, he gave an ultimatum that he is going to marry Sharanya no matter what. So, they conceded reluctantly.

Mom told me that Lakshmi aunty did not want this marriage to happen this fast. She wanted to postpone it at least until Arjun sir leaves for the USA. Dad went to their office and convinced them. But, Devil's parents seem happy in the engagement and his mother is also helping Sharanya with the marriage. And she is very warm and welcoming with Sharanya. Me, Di, Lakshmi aunty, and mom went shopping, and she even bought an expensive necklace for Sharanya even though Sharanya protested. I guess they came around. After all, it's their son's marriage. So things are okay now.

***********

Hi my devils

How do you like the book so far?

When I started to write the book, I thought the marriage will happen in the fifth or sixth chapter. But as I wrote the content started increasing without me knowing. And these chapters are important to understand the dynamics of the characters. SO please bear with it and the fun starts in another two chapters.

Please enjoy the book and let me know your feedback through comments.

Don't forget to vote!!!!