Chapter 15

Ananya Prasad

Today is Sharanya's Haldi ceremony. Our house is swarming with relatives. I am staying in Noida for wedding festivities since yesterday. My leave starts tomorrow. I already missed two pre-ritual poojas. My mom is angry that I did not apply for more leaves. I applied for a week, but I got three days off, and since the devil too applied for one week and for the same time, I did not get leave. He asked me to reduce my leaves to three days so that no one in the department doubts him. I agreed benevolently. Note the sarcasm.

He told everyone in the department he has some personal work. He didn't invite even one human being except for Karthik. And he keeps giving me coffee whenever he wants to talk about something. I should have told him the first time that I don't drink coffee. I thought that was a one-time thing. I didn't know that he will give me regular coffees. Now I lost my timing.

I have a shift today. I left the function as early as possible since I have to travel two hours to reach the hospital. My shift will end tomorrow evening just before the sangeet. Sid and I will travel together to Noida and we have to perform a song tomorrow in the sangeet. The day after sangeet we have some pooja in the morning and a cocktail party in a nightclub in Noida for our cousins. And the next day is marriage. Sid and I have work the next day afternoon after marriage. Even though I took three days off, I feel like I won't be getting any rest. Don't ask me how I know. Sid is also coming to the marriage because his family is one of our closest friends. He didn't apply for any leave. He took a week-off and adjusted his shift so that he will get a two-day holiday.

Work is hectic today. I wanted to leave at least by 6 PM so that I can reach home by 8 PM just in time for the sangeet. There was an emergency last minute and I couldn't get out early. I became free at 10 PM. My mom, dad, and Srikanth called me ten times each. When I reached the parking lot, Sid was already in the car pacifying my mom. He looked at me as I sat in the car and gave me a look saying that I am dead. My dad sent us a driver because we both will be tired and no way we would drive ourselves after working an eighteen-hour shift and that too in the rush hour traffic since we were supposed to start at 6 PM.

Have I mentioned that I love Sid?

He knows that I would be hungry and we cannot afford to stop for dinner and it would be around midnight when we reach home. So he bought me food. That too from McDonald's. Moreover, he didn't have his food and was waiting for me so that we can eat together. He is a sweetheart officially for now until he annoys me. We both devoured the burgers and slept throughout the journey.

When I reached home, my parents and Sharanya went to sleep because there is a pooja tomorrow. Srikanth is overseeing the decoration removal and almost every youngster is under the influence of alcohol. Some are sprawled across our garden, some are sitting and talking slurrily, some are dancing. God, it was chaos. Sid, Srikanth, and I made sure that everyone slept inside. It is almost two in the morning when I went to my room.

On my way, I observed that lights are on in Sharanya's room. I went to talk to her since I missed the sangeet. I opened the room without knocking and to my shock, Arjun sir is there and he and Sharanya are hugging each other. And, they both looked at me surprised. I immediately ran away from there and went to my room.

What the hell are they doing and that too in my house with our parents in the next room and at least 15 people sleeping on the same floor? Can't they wait for one more day?

They must have gone crazy.

Three people are sleeping in my room, my cousins Divya, Raksha, Keerthi. This is the reason, I hate marriages. Relatives have taken over my house. There is no privacy at all. Shaking my head I went to sleep. Because if I don't wake up in time for pooja tomorrow, my mom will offer my head as a sacrifice for the pooja.

By the time I woke up, got ready, and went down pooja is going on. Sharanya signaled me to come near her.

"About yesterday..." she started explaining.

"I didn't see anything. What are you talking about?" I winked at her.

She smiled and thanked me. She seemed tired. Marriage rituals do that to you. She looked like she would be anywhere but here. After one hour, she appeared irritated and snapped at Raksha and Pradhan (another cousin). Hell, I would be irritated if I have to sit all dolled up continuously for 2 hours feeling sleepy. Once the pooja is done, she immediately went to her room and slept until evening,

All the youngsters are very hyped for the cocktail party. Our parents are having a small get-together for elders in our house. We all dolled up and went to the club. Sharanya and the devil will come fashionably late as she is grumpy. Have I mentioned that there is a dress code for the party? Devil's cousins and some of my cousins planned this party instead of having separate bachelor and bachelorette parties. Most people are college students, so, they are excited to go to their first club. Our parents booked the entire club so that everyone would be safe. I told you my family is conservative.

Almost every girl is wearing very revealing dresses because no one else would be there other than family. I wore a blue backless sequin dress that ends at my mid-thighs. I wanted to wear a full sleeve magenta dress but Raksha forced me to wear this one because according to her I am very uptight for a girl and have to loosen up. So, I wore this dress. Srikanth and Sid are already there overseeing the party arrangements. All our cousins, me and Sid's sister Aparna are going in almost four cars.

I gulped when I saw the venue. There is an open bar. God, this is just another excuse for the kids to drink and get wasted. The entire club has disco lights and the music was in full swing. Some people are already dancing on the floor. It seems Arjun Sir's side of people already came. My cousins screamed and joined the floor and the fun began. I am sure Srikanth and Sid won't be drinking to make sure everyone reaches home safely.

I shook my head and went to the bar to get myself a drink. What? I am not going to get wasted but that doesn't mean I won't be drinking. This is going to wild and long night.

*****************

Hi my devils

How was the update?

Things were hectic the past two weeks. So I couldn't update. Sorry for the delay.

Please do vote and comment and let me know your feedback.

Have a good day.

Love you all.