Chapter 26

Ananya Prasad

It's been a week since I shifted back to my hostel. He practically threw me out of his house. I deserve that. I got what I wanted. I should be feeling happy, right?

But, I am not. I can't ignore the feeling in the pit of my stomach as if I did the wrong thing. I don't know why. Sid is avoiding me. He is angry that I wanted a divorce instead of giving this marriage a chance. Even Karthik is being curt with me. He is back to being formal with me.

And Devil, it's been four days since I have seen him. I saw him last at the conjoined twin's surgery. Since our shifts are at different timings I didn't see him. I know he is angry at me for asking for a divorce. I at least want to apologize. But, he is not giving me that chance. I know what I did with him; I played him like Sharanya.

I can understand how betrayed he must feel. But I can't do anything other than this. My sister loves him. I can never give this relation a chance without hurting my sister. No matter what I do either my sister or he has to get hurt. I choose my sister. It is as simple as that.

My family or his family doesn't know this. I thought Sid will tell them. But, he didn't. I think Arjun sir asked Sid and Karthik not to talk about this. I don't know how to face his parents and Amit dadu. Both the sisters wrecked his life; Sharanya by not marrying him and me by marrying him. His mom talks with me almost every day. It is getting increasingly difficult to tell her all these lies to her face while destroying her son's life.

I know he doesn't love me like he loves Sharanya. But I know that he wants to give this marriage a chance. This divorce will be a scandal once he is appointed as a board member for the hospitals. I don't know what to do. I know he won't go back to Sharanya since she betrayed his trust. All I can do is to hope and pray that he will be happy one day with a person who loves him.

Two Weeks later...

The next two weeks went by me drowning in guilt and sorrow. Sid is on speaking terms with me but we are not as close as before. He is very busy preparing for his super specialty entrance test. He is very angry with me and made it very clear that he did not like my decision. He said it is Sharanya's fault to leave the marriage and that I am spoiling my life for her sins. And Karthik is just being very formal with me as before.

In this month, I have seen Arjun sir just five times, and that too for emergency cases and surgeries.  Nobody would believe that he and I got married and lived in the same house for one month. It was as if it never happened. And Sharanya is still MIA.

I was just completing my rounds when I got the message from him.

"My mom wants to have dinner with us tonight. She will come by seven in the evening. Please be in the apartment once your shift is done. Don't cook. I already placed an order. It will be delivered by eight in the evening."

I sighed at the message. She didn't tell me anything when we spoke in the morning. Tonight is going to be a long night. This is the first time I am seeing his mom after the marriage. We have to pretend nothing is wrong between us when everything is not right.

Once my shift is done in the evening at five, I left for the hostel to get ready and go to his apartment. His shift will be completed by nine at night. So he will be joining us then. I have to be alone with her until then. I am nervous to face her and afraid of the questions that she will ask. I know she will ask because it's been almost two months since the marriage and they didn't disturb us as we wanted some space. Now the entire family might be curious to know about us.

I had a spare key to the apartment for this kind of emergencies. When I entered the house after one hour it was empty. The living room is clean. Looks like someone is cleaning. I went to my room to see it is empty. I hesitated to go to his room. It would be intruding on his privacy but I want to see how he is living. In the end, my curiosity won and I opened the door to see that the room again is a mess. I went to clean but stopped myself from doing that because he might not like me doing this now. So I left it at that. I then went into the kitchen and opened the fridge to see it empty. What will his mom think seeing this?

I didn't know what to do. So I switched on the television and slept after some time in the living room. I woke up when somebody rang the doorbell. It would be his mom. I opened the door to see the delivery boy delivering the food. I took the food, kept it on the dining table, and saw that is almost eight PM but, his mom didn't come yet. I called her. She is on another call. Just then the door opened to reveal Arjun sir.

We both stood there for some time without speaking. He observed me top to bottom. I am wearing a blue color Anarkali dress since his mom is coming. He cleared his throat.

"Mom?" he asked me.

"She didn't come yet, sir. I called her but she is on another call" I explained to him.

He frowned and opened his mouth to tell something but he was interrupted by my mobile ringing.

"It's aunty", I picked her call.

"Aunty, where..." She interrupted me before I spoke.

"Ananya, I want you and Golu to come home for dinner" she ordered me.

This is unlike her. She is always so sweet. I looked at Arjun sir while the sense of doom engulfed me. He raised his eyebrows asking me what's wrong. Something is not right. I put the phone on speaker.

"Is everything alright aunty?" I asked her.

"Yeah. Even your parents and brother are here. We just want to talk with you guys. Come home" she ended the call.

"Something is wrong. This is not like my mom", he told me worriedly.

"Give me ten minutes. We will leave", he left to his room saying this.

Throughout the journey, we didn't talk. I couldn't shake off this feeling that shit is about to go down. I can sense even he can feel the dread.

When we entered his house I am not at all shocked to see everyone sitting in the living room. I can see anger in their faces.

They know.

********************

Hi, my devils,

Please vote and comment.

The next update will be on Thursday.

Have a great day.