Chapter 44

Ananya Prasad

I don't want to go down and face her.

I know that the moment I see her, it will all be over.

I can hear her screaming at Arjun that he cheated on her and she is disappointed in him.

"I never thought that of all the people, you would do something like this. Not any other person, you married Ananya.", I can hear her voice accusing him.

My feet walked on their own. I need to see her, to believe that she came back.

When I entered the living room, I saw the entire Kashyap family. They are all trying to explain to her, but she is not paying any heed to them and throwing accusations at everyone.

They still did not see me.

"Sharanya, it is neither Arjun's fault nor Ananya's fault. It is your fault to leave your own marriage without thinking about the consequences. They both did what they thought good for the reputation of our families which you did not care about", Arjun's mom Lakshmi Aunty reprimanded her.

"Oh please, I am sure you are the one who suggested this ridiculous thing after all you hate me. You tried your best to stop Arjun from marrying me", Sharanya scoffed at Lakshmi Aunty.

"Yet, strangely, you are the one who ran away on your own, free will. No one here hates you Sharanya. You grew up in front of me, I can never hate you. I love you as much as I love Arjun and Kavya. The only reason I objected to this marriage is that I know that you and Arjun are not compatible with each other which you proved by running away without considering that you are throwing him under the bus. You both might be good friends but you never loved each other. That is the reason I am not a fan of your marriage with Arjun", Lakshmi Aunty replied in the same tone as Sharanya.

Just then, sharanya noticed me.

"You. How can you do this? You are the only person in this entire world that I thought would be on my side. But you married the person I love the second I left?" she looked at me with such pain in her eyes. There is no anger or resentment, just pain that I betrayed her.

"Di-"

"And I definitely won't sit back if you try to sabotage Arjun and Ananya's relationship", Lakshmi aunty warned her.

"You are wrong aunty. I loved him. Heck, I still love him. I did what I had to do to get some respect from everyone and to stand and succeed on my own. When I got that opportunity, I took it. That doesn't mean I don't love him. You tell me, if I told you that I had to leave and postpone the marriage, would you guys have let me go? You would have definitely blackmailed me. I am not saying what I did was wrong and selfish. But, if you are in my shoes you would have done the same. My own parents treat me like a waste of space and a spineless person who could not even have her own career and still depends on them. To prove to them that I am not anything like that, I had to do this." She explained this with her eyes full of tears and then just gave me a look and left the house.

"Di, wait", I ran behind her.

I held her hand when she opened her car door and stopped her.

"Di, I am sorry. I only did this because of the contract. Papa made a contract before your marriage with Varun Uncle and we could not avoid the consequences if the marriage didn't happen. Trust me di, please", I begged her.

"I am sorry di", I could not help but cry.

I wanted to tell her that there is nothing between him and me. I wanted to tell her that I am planning to get a divorce from him, but I could not get those words out.

It felt wrong to say that there is nothing between us when we both like, hell, love each other. How can I say that I love the one person that she loves? And if I say that it will be disrespecting his feelings.

She simply removed my hand from her and drove away.

I just stood there not knowing what to do.

How can I go back to him when my sister is hurt like that?

How can I leave him when I know how devastated he will be?

How can I leave when I know that I love him?

Am I selfish for wanting both my sister's happiness and my happiness?

*****************

When I went back inside there is an argument going on between Arjun and his mother.

"Don't you dare do that mom. Let me and Ananya deal with our relationship on our own. Don't you dare interfere" Arjun was shouting at his mother and then turned around and held my hand and dragged me from the house.

He opened the car door and almost threw me and started driving the car. No one spoke. I can him clenching his jaw now and then.

I let out a breath and asked him, "Are you okay?"

"I don't know. Are you okay?", he asked curtly.

"I don't know", I replied.

He too let out a sigh.

"What do you want to do now?", he asked me.

"I don't know. I am still in shock", I replied.

Again silence.

"Why did you fight with your mom?", I asked him slowly.

"She wanted to introduce me as a member of the Board for our hospital group"

"So? Isn't it a good thing?", I asked confusedly.

He again let out a sigh.

"The moment my identity is exposed, your identity will be exposed too as my wife. My mom thought that you will get a divorce. So by announcing myself as a board member, our relationship will be exposed and you won't be able to give me a divorce. That is her plan", he told me with an absolute poker expression.

"Oh", I said as I looked at my hands.

Do I want to expose our relationship?

"Do you want to do that now?", he asked me.

"Let's talk with Sharanya first. I don't want her to get hurt again. Once she is okay with it, we will announce", I told him slowly.

He jerked his head at me.

"You are really okay with this? You don't want a divorce?", he asked me with a surprised tone.

"Do you want a divorce?", I asked him.

"No", he immediately replied.

I chuckled at how fast he replied.

"Let's give her some time to cool down first. Then I will go and explain to her. Is that okay?' he asked me.

"Yes"

He again looked surprised at me for agreeing with him. It seems he really thought that I will ask for the divorce.

"I also think that we should live in our apartment for the time being. If we go to our home, everyone will want to know our relationship status", he told me.

"Okay"

He smiled at me and took my hand in his.

***************

Hi guys

This book is coming to an end. Mostly four or five chapters left.

I know the end of the story and I plan to complete it. So don't worry.

Please vote and do give your feedback in the commebts.

Have a great day.