Chapter 17

Arjun Kashyap

My leave starts today. There is the Haldi ceremony and there is the sangeet ceremony in the evening. Sharanya and I practiced last week despite my busy schedule. She is an excellent dancer. No wonder she wants to become an actress. We will be going to their farmhouse after the Haldi. We too rented a farmhouse in that area just twenty minutes from Sharanya's house. So we will be shifting there until the marriage. Tomorrow morning there is some pooja and a cocktail party in the evening for just the youngsters.

My marriage with Sharanya has to work. I cannot marry ever again. I will die if I have to go through all the rituals again. Once the Haldi is done, I went to my room to sleep till evening. My mom woke me up in the evening and scolded me that I am sleeping. She wanted me to mingle with cousins. I got ready and we went to Sharanya's house. She is looking like an angel in her bottle-green lehenga and she rocked the dance floor. She did three solo songs and some dances with her cousins. She and I danced for three songs and I ran away from the stage after that. She is enjoying herself a lot today. I know that she loves dancing.

Meanwhile Srikanth, her brother came and sat beside me after some time. Everybody is dancing and having fun while drinking. Just then I remembered that I had not seen Ananya. He told me Ananya couldn't come to the sangeet as she had a last-minute emergency call. It is almost 10 PM and Ananya and Siddharth had not even started from the hospital. Indira aunty also joined us and was talking on her phone with someone. Once she was done talking she is mumbling about killing someone. I am guessing Ananya. Srikanth and I tried to console her. She told me that Ananya already missed Haldi and some other poojas and scolding her about not coming to her sister's sangeet.

After some time Sharanya came and sat beside me. Almost everyone is tired and wasted. My parents and relatives left for the farmhouse. Sharanya is looking tired. I told her to get some sleep as tomorrow will be hectic again. I went and started helping Srikanth to send my cousins home. He is always responsible. After that, he asked me to leave. I went to say goodbye to Sharanya and when I reached her room, she was crying. I was shocked and ran to her.

"What happened?"

She startled seeing me and immediately tried to stop crying and said, "Nothing".

"Sharanya, it doesn't look like nothing. Tell me what happened. Are you hurt somewhere?", I asked worriedly.

She immediately hugged me and said, "Nothing. I have to leave my parents soon. I know your parents also don't like me that much. I am worried"

"It's okay, sweety. it is normal to get worried and scared before marriage. And coming to my parents, they are just reluctant about this marriage. They don't hate you. You are like a daughter to them. You will see once we are married", I consoled her.

"Just sleep it off and you will be fine", I told her.

Just then the door opened and Ananya is standing at the entrance with her mouth open. I immediately left Sharanya. Ananya also closed the door and ran away.

"She must have reached just now," Sharanya told me.

She laughed and said, "your entire face is red from embarrassment. Don't worry. She won't tell anyone"

I nodded and again consoled Sharanya for some time and left.

The next morning my sister woke me up and rushed me for some pooja. In the evening I went to Sharanya's house and picked her up for the cocktail evening. All the others already left. She was waiting for me. Throughout the journey to the club, she seemed to be lost in her thoughts.

"Are you okay?"

"Yes. I am just tired because of the rituals and all", she smiled at me.

I know she is lying. Something is wrong. Maybe she is still worried about leaving her house after marriage. But it is unlike Sharanya. She doesn't even like to be in her home.

Even at the cocktail party, she is in her thoughts. I asked her multiple times. She didn't tell me. after some time, Sharanya, Karthik, Siddharth, Srikanth, Ananya and I sat at a table. Kavya is dancing with our cousins. Karthik asked all of us to dance. Srikanth and Siddharth started to tease Ananya and they all went dancing except Karthik. He knew that something is wrong with Sharanya and me. So he stayed back to talk to me.

"What happened?"

"I don't know yaar. Honestly, I don't want to know. I just want this marriage to be done so that I can sleep for some time", I replied to him.

He chuckled and turned his head towards the dancing group. Srikanth, Sharanya, Sid and Ananya are dancing. More like, they are dancing, she is trying not to fall. Anyone can see that she cannot stand in those heels. Girls and their obsession with perfect looks. This is the first time I am seeing Ananya in such revealing clothes. It is very uncomfortable to even look at her. I have always seen her wearing scrubs or jeans. Karthik has his eyes on Ananya.

"What is the deal between you and Ananya?", I enquired him.

"What deal?"

"You know what I mean"

"Nothing bro. Chill"

"She is family Karthik. Don't mess with her. And what is your obsession with her relationship with Sid?"

"I am not messing with her. Just looking out for her. She is my friend too. Coming to her relation with Sid, don't you have eyes?" he asked me as if I am missing something that is in front of my eyes.

"What?"

"Look at them. Can't you see how Sid is hovering near her? Can't you see how they both move in perfect synchronization? Are you blind?" he asked me.

I looked at them. "Yes. Sid is hovering near her but it looks like he is waiting to catch her when she trips. Other than that, I don't see anything between them. In fact, they look like siblings. They grew up together. So, it is common to have that much closeness between them. And whatever their dynamic is let them sort out. Why are you poking your nose?"

"That is why you are blind. See how he looks at her. That is not the way siblings look at each other. Anyways, I just want to see them together. They look cute and both are good persons. If they need a kickstart, I am more than willing to give them", he replied.

"Don't do anything. It might make things awkward between them. Let them be. They are adults. They will figure it out. And who said opposite genders cannot be best friends?", I asked him. Karthik is a romantic at heart. So I think he is trying to fulfill his romantic fantasies with those two.

"Whatever", he continued drinking.

Everybody passed out at 2 AM. Even I am drunk. Sharanya is very sober. During the journey back to the farmhouse, she held my hand and slept on my shoulder as if she is afraid that I am running away from her. I dropped her to her room.

She hugged me when I am about to leave and said, "I am sorry. Forgive me".

If I were sober, I might have asked why. But her words didn't register in my brain. When I registered them the next morning, it was already late.

***************

Hi my devils,

Please vote and let me know the feedback.