Chapter 16

The whip cracked on the floor. I closed my eyes tightly. "Scream, Katherine dear, or else they are not going to hear you." I looked at Crawford with defiance in my eyes. "Don't look at me." The whip cracked on my back forcing me back on my knees. "Scream" "Never, I am not going to scream no matter how much you hit me. If you kill me, I will die but you cannot break me." I said looking at Crawford and his men.

I felt someone holding the whip. "Crawford, you have reached too far." I didn't have the strength to look up or even say anything. I felt so tired. I felt someone touching me. I know this touch very well. "No, Love, look at me please." I heard his voice. "Ibrahim" He shouted. I finally looked at him. He looked at me and a smile broke onto his face.

"You are alright." He whispered. Someone came and hit him. I saw Abe was trying to fend off someone off him. Mr. Rodriguez was too engaged with Crawford. I stood up and reached for my knife. Somehow, I pulled it out of its hiding place and cut my ropes. I saw someone was pointing their gun at Mr. Rodriguez. I threw my knife at his hand and his gun fell down. He looked at me with anger. I pulled my sword out and ran towards him.

I disarmed him and render him unconscious. Then I took my gun out and walked towards Crawford. I saw Ibrahim too was trying to reach him. Then suddenly someone hit me hard from behind and I fell down. I looked at another one of Crawford's men. "You are good for nothing. If I kill you Lord Crawford will reward me." I tried to reach for my weapon but he stepped onto my hand preventing me from reaching any further.

A scream escaped my mouth. Christin looked in my direction. That is the distraction they were looking for. That is the distraction Crawford was looking for and he shot Mr. Rodriguez. He fell down on his feet. "Christin no," I cried as the men left me. I ran towards him but Crawford stopped me. I saw his men were holding Ibrahim prisoner. "I thought you were worth me. One time I thought I can make you my queen. But now I see, you cannot be in that position. For you are not fit to be in that position."

He stabbed me and then I saw his men dragging Ibrahim away. "He, on the other hand, is useful." My eyes met Ibrahim's. "Kill him, that is an order," I said to Abe. "As you wish my lady." I felt Crawford slap me. I fell down and then his men dragged us towards the cellar. They threw us inside and then they tied our hands with chains. Minutes later I heard the door close. This is it, I don't think we both can get out of this one.

I looked at Cristin. His eyes were closed. He was bleeding very much and I do not know what to do next. "Christin" I called. "Don't close your eyes on me. If we survive the night, we can survive the disaster. Please do not close your eyes on me" I shook him. "Please Christin, please." My eyes watered. I didn't wish for this to happen. I never wished for this to happen. He shouldn't have come after me. He shouldn't have come to save me. Now he is dying because of me.

"I don't like it when you cry like this Love" I heard his voice. "Christin" I whispered looking at him. "Why did you come here? It was a trap they laid for you and only you. You shouldn't have come. Now, look at you. He shot you. You are hurt..." "So are you, so your point is?" A smile broke on my face. "My point is Christin that you are a fool. Why don't you think before you act? Who told you to be a hero?" I asked.

"Sometimes, I want to be your hero too. I..." He coughed blood. "Don't talk, ok? Don't talk please." I placed my finger on his lips. "I want you to praise me for saving you. I want to impress you in the only way I know-how. But you don't let me do it. Today I have done it. I have been the hero I think I can be for you." And he laughed. He laughed. I don't know which situation is funny for him.

"Why are you laughing Christin?" I asked. "We are in mortal danger." He continued laughing and it turned into coughing. "I never thought that I would die this way. I knew I would die because I had many enemies. But I thought I would be able to call you my wife before that happens. I guess, no one thought I am deserving enough. But then again. I have a very dark soul and I never had deserved a beautiful soul such as ..."