Chapter 30

Christin and I both looked at each other. He should be terrified. I know I was but for some reason unknown to me, he was smiling. He was actually smiling. And that is not all, it was his famous cruel and manipulative smile.

Like he was expecting this.

Like he had predicted this.

Like he was prepared for this.

"Mr. William Mackintosh, how long I was waiting for you to show your true colors. I know how you feel threatened when someone tries to derail your plans. Like plans of gaining powers in monarchy, plans of gaining that through this marriage. How very predictable of you. And my dearest sister-in-law Genevieve, she thought you are doing it from the goodness of your heart." Everyone looked at Christin, guns still pointed at him. And well, he was standing there ever so calm, cold, and certain of the outcome of this brawl.

"What are you talking about? I would never..." "No? then why you have locked your son's lover inside the inn at the very far end of the town, with his son then? And if not that, why you had forced him to get to know Katherine when her father went missing? It was I calculate around a year ago." Had it been that long?

"I assume you would deny, but it was always about the inheritance and about your connections with a certain woman who calls herself now the Duchess of Somerset? For Katherine's father is still the duke. But alas my father-in-law is not aware of his wife's infidelity till now." Emilia? And William Mackintosh?

How on earth did he always come up with such nasty pieces of information? He looked at me and nodded. We will talk later. Yes, if I do not murder him first.

"I am sure that if I get into this deep, I would find more connections to more of the things you all did." William Mackintosh pressed the gun over his chest. "Where is my son?" He asked again. "At the Chapel," and he pulled out his pocket watch. "Getting married to the love of his life. As he intended and conveyed to his dearest friend, that is me."

"You will not get away with this Rodriguez. I will..." "Kill me? Get yourself in that line, because there are many hoping to do that. Now, I will not tell you twice, In this state, the title of the Duchess only belongs to my Katherine. As it should have always. And till I am here; you are not taking it away from her. And if you wish to see your son alive, you will put that gun down."

"I do not care about that insolent fool." Another smirk, another thing he has kept for long. A trick to save all.

"Lance if you please" he ordered and Lance came out holding Emilia. She was pregnant, not only pregnant it looks like she would go into labor any second. "I was not talking about him." William's eyes went wild with mad rage.

"You will not harm..." "Oh, but I will, planning with Emilia, scheming with Crawford, and placing Miss Thatcher in my path so that you can get her. My Queen from me. And her kingdom. It never would have worked. Till I am alive, breathing in this world, over this soil, no one can take my queen away from me."

You are my devotion

He had told me again and again. The anger and the rage he felt when he thought I had married James. And the rare times he had actually said those words to me. Spoken, the words of love. His green eyes are dark and vulnerable. The only person in front of whom he had always become undone.

"I am not letting you. I am not letting anyone. She is mine. She became mine on the day I led my eyes on her. A long time ago. And all those potential matches that I had ruined and kept ruining for her, did you think you can get her if I do not allow it? You are so very wrong, Mr. Mackintosh." His voice dropped low for only me to hear.

"You have a weakness, and I can exploit it. From today till the day you survive this pathetic life of yours, you will be afraid of losing your child, the woman you for some twisted reason love, and you will think about my day and night and the things I can do to them, making them beg for mercy, for death."