Chapter 19

I didn't wait for anyone as I walked towards my seven-foot saber-yielding friend. The difference is he looks beaten up. "Abe" I called. He stood up and bowed stiffly. 

"My lady, please forgive me for I couldn't keep the promise made to you." He could barely stand up. "Please Abe sit down. Have someone brought you something to eat? Have they treated you?"

He looked at me with an unreadable expression. "I am much sturdier than you think my lady, and even if you and Saheb treat me as a friend, I still am just a slave." I saw something I never thought I would see in Ibrahim's eyes. Fear, he was afraid of Crawford. He had done something to my friend and he is going to answer me for the same.

"It is alright, little vixen. I have already told the best doctors in France to look after your friend. Nothing little rest won't do." He assured me. But it wasn't what was making me worried. It was the look in his eyes that was what made me think about the time he might have been broken. So, I decided to talk to him when no one was around.

I have gotten that chance the next day when the doctors left after treating him, I slipped inside. The room. Ibrahim didn't look surprised at all. "My lady, how this slave can help you today?" I walked towards him seeing how his back was covered with bandages. "What he has done to you Abe," I asked as my eyes watered. I cannot see him like this. No matter what anyone says he is like my family.

"Don't cry for me, my lady. I was born a slave, some masters are better than others. I had found one such master who treated me as a friend than a slave. But I have forgotten I was a slave. That is what he reminded me that is all. Nothing more than I deserve."

 "No one deserves this Ibrahim. And you are not my slave, you have chosen this for yourself. I never had forced you into this. I have promised you something before this all begins, I will help you find your family, and then I will help you escape. I will because I never made promises I cannot keep." I gasped feeling his hand over my shoulder.

"Came to meet your friend?" He asked me. "Yes, you know me. You know I care for everyone equally and I brought something to help with the pain." I gave Ibrahim a pouch full of berries I have found in the garden. 

"My mother was a daughter of an herbalist. She had taught me well. It was because of her I know what I know today Mr. Rodriguez." "You mean your father's first wife?" I nodded. "It sounds like a fairytale isn't it? A duke and a commoner?" I asked.

"Yes, it is, but that Is something. Something different to remember." He held my hand in his. No, he doesn't show affection for me when he was outside. But nowadays it was changing too. He doesn't let me get close even in front of Ibrahim. 

But today he himself initiated it. So, he is changing. I don't know if it is for the better or from something else that he is afraid about. "What he had told you exactly Ibrahim?" Mr. Rodriguez asked finally.

Ibrahim closed his eyes as if remembering something awful that he had encountered while was with Crawford. "He told me he knows where my family is. He will take them with him. My son will be a slave, my daughter will be a..." His voice cracked. Never in my life, I have thought that someone like Ibrahim can be afraid like this. But he wasn't afraid for me, he was afraid for his family.

"Your wife? Where is she?" I asked. "I don't know MY Lady; he didn't tell me. But I am afraid she might even not be alive to tell her tale." No, don't say that. "Ibrahim looks at me" Mr. Rodriguez ordered in a cold voice.

 I haven't heard that in a very long time. And I was afraid of what it would mean. Ibrahim looked at Mr. Rodriguez. "Your family will be with you. I have made you a promise Ibrahim. I never ever have broken a promise before and I do not intend to start now." Mr. Rodriguez said looking at Ibrahim.