Chapter 9

I saw the sun come up and found myself resting under a tree. The pain was something first made me realize that I was indeed alive and all the things that happened was real. He did what he did and he is not going to be mine. Not if I want to.

 I don't want him anymore. I have one more task left to do and I am going to fulfil it after if I will leave France and go back to England to my home. I will resume being what I was a daughter to my father, that he forgotten.

Maybe someday I will marry. Maybe I will find a person worth me. Someone who will accept me for who I am. I stood up and all the world revolved around me suddenly. I held the tree for support and stood there for a while.

 I think I have managed to get myself enough distance from Mr. Rodriguez and his now found fiancée. I saw the ring and my hand reached for this. I couldn't do it. I cannot take it off. I cannot just forget him.

My legs move forward towards the coaches and I told him to take him to my inn I was staying into. He looked at me from head to toe. "How will you pay; you look homeless to me." I am homeless but no way I am out of money. I took a pouch out and handed him five gold coins. "Enough for you?" The coachman told me to climb up. And then he took me towards my destination.

The city of love isn't proving to be lovely at least for me. I placed my head on the cold glass of the carriage as it begin to rain. I heard the pitter patter of the rain against the glass, and it soothe the ache I felt inside. I thought I had someone to understand me. Not anymore. I am once again lost and am alone. There is nothing anyone can do about my situation.

The inn was flourishing with people. And then they stopped talking and looked at me. I walked straight to my room. And then I locked the door. As soon as I was alone all that I was holding inside came crushing me down. My eyes watered. I never cried in my life. I didn't cry because my mother told me to be happy always. According to her my smile will brighten the world.

I guess there are some world you cannot brighten

I heard a knock at the door. "Yes?" "Katherine it is me Lance. You have me worried." He said. I made myself presentable and then I opened the door. "What happened? Why you look so much concerned?" I asked. "You disappeared from Christin's mansion and he was searching for you in whole Paris, and you are here, just sitting?" He asked. 

"Yes, I am he need not to be concern about my well-being what he should be concentrating is upon his new life. His new fiancée and his soon to be wife. He has everything now what he needed. I was just a temporary situation in his life. Just came in for a little while now, I am no longer needed."

"Katherine he is on streets all night searching for you, he hasn't slept in four days and it was only that night Jane forced him to close his eyes for a little while..." "And he listened, didn't he? He listened to her. He never listened to anything I said, not like that. He behaves differently with her. He wants to meet me? tell him I am coming to him after I change my clothes because this is no way a lady should dress. Now, that I have to live among people who will not accept me for who I am, I have to become someone they want to see." I said.

"Katherine..." He started. "No, please send my regards to Mr. Rodriguez for taking care of me so well. I am alright now and as soon as the business between us concludes I will no longer show my face to him. I can tell this at least. He need not to worry that I will somehow stop him from getting married." He didn't say a word and left. I closed my door and then suddenly felt a breath upon my neck.

I reached for my dragger but found it gone. "Looking for something? As many times as I met you Katherine Davis, I know exactly what you can do and what you cannot." I know who he is. But how did he find me?