Chapter 23

I saw my sister Dana going through her dresses. She had told me that James had appointed a dressmaker for this special occasion. She seemed happy. "James had been treating you well, isn't he?" I asked her. She smiled in response. 

"We women have to do so much to get our men's attention. Sometimes I think about how only superficial things can impress them. We need to become beautiful in their eyes with all these contraptions. So, they come to us and be happy." I shook my head.

"Now Dana, it is not true. The one who will love you truly will love you for you not because you are wearing pretty little things." I told her but then, even to me, it begins to sound pretty unrealistic. It was like I stopped believing that something like this can happen.

 "You sound so unsure may I know why?" Dana asked me. My whole life is falling apart that is why. Don't know if I will be able to take it or not that is why.

"Nothing Dana, every couple has problems now and then. And Mr. Rodriguez too. We are not happy not having any kind of relationship problems couple." "At least you and he are on talking terms about these problems." I only wish it was the truth but, sadly it is not. 

"Not always Dana, so why the rush all of a sudden? Why have you summoned me?" I asked. "Didn't you get the letter from father? I need to be there for Genevieve. No matter how she had treated us in the past, she is still our sister." Dana is right Genevieve is my sister.

"So, you and James are leaving?" I asked. "Yes, we will soon. But he tells me that there is some work he needs to do. And after that, we can leave." Does James know about Mr. Rodriguez's plan? "Did he mention what kind of work?" I asked. 

"He never does mention to me anything he does. He never tells me where he goes to. He had told me once, if it is related to us, he will tell. If not, then I need not think about all those things and worry about myself. For he will always protect me." She looked at me softly.

"He is my husband, Kathy; I love him and I will always obey him. That is what a good wife should be doing, loving and respecting his boundaries." Her words were wary as if she was trying to warn me about this whole marriage thing to Christin. I don't know but it feels so like it. It was like she was trying to warn me not to give up my freedom of words. 

"I understand Dana, I understand what you are trying to convey." I squeezed gently on her hand. Later that day she told me that James has told us to meet him in the gardens and that Christin was there too waiting on us.

He is looking like his cold rigid self as always, that is the only charming thing about him, isn't it?

Christin took my hand into his and kissed it. "You look so beautiful in this Katherine. I want to take you inside the room and..." I cleared my throat and looked at wide-eyed James. "We are not alone," I whispered. "I still want to, my love, how can anyone see something else other than you? I do not understand." He whispered. Then we got into our respective carriages.

"So, I have been happening to ask you, what do you wish to have for our wedding night?" What kind of question is that? "It will not be a first-time thing." I retorted. "I know, yet as husband and wife this would be memorable. "Yes, then too please tell me Katherine. I want to know about your desires."

"Black roses, black candles that smell sweet," I said and looked at him. "And you, Christin, with your heart and everything" "You have my heart, Kathy. You are the only one who always had my heart. Even before you knew me." What? What is he talking about? 

"I thought you do not possess one" I countered. I can see the moonlight illuminating his beautiful face. "You have that heart Katherine Elizabeth Davis, for a long time, it is not with me. It was far, far away till I found it again, when we met that day, you negotiated with me for your mother's horse."