Chapter 17

PONYBOY'S POV:

Ever since I was jumped earlier today, it's been hard for me to do the simple things. It hurts to sit up, it hurts to bend over, but worst of all, it kills to walk. I need help walking whenever I go.

I hate not being able to do stuff on my own. I like being independent, and for the past 4 hours, Dally, Darry, Gabby and Soda have been waiting on me hand-and-foot.

They were in the living room together and I was laying in my bed, staring at the ceiling. I hated to be alone but I didn't want to yell for them. So, I tried to get up myself. When I sat up, I felt my heartbeat in my ears. I kept pushing myself up, and when I finally got to my feet, I lost my balence. I hit the floor like a magnet to a refrigerator. A loud 'THUNK' echoed through the house, and within 5 minutes, everyone had come to me.

"Pony what're ya doin'?!", Darry demanded. Soda looked stressed, "now c'mon Pony. You know your not supposed to walk on your own right now. You physically can't". I blinked back tears of stress, "I know I'm sorry.."

Gabby helped me up and threw my arm around her shoulder. We all walked out to the living room and Darry, Dally, and Soda sat on the floor. I laid myself across the couch and used Gabby's lap as a pillow. Ever since mom died, I had looked at Gabby as a mother figure. And if we're being honest here, Gabby legitimately acts like my mom. I'm not complaining though. She's there when I'm happy, sad, confused, angry, stressed, she's there for it all.

"Ey Pony, your head feelin' alright?", Dally asked. I got impatient, "hmm I don't know Dal. I got my face slammed into the ground, and I got kicked upside the head. So how'd'ya think it feels?! Huh?!".

It went silent. Dally muffled, "don't get wise with me. I was just checkin' on you alright?". I tried to blink my tears back, but I couldn't. They flowed down my cheeks. "I know Dal, and I'm sorry. I'm just stressed because I don't like havin' people doin' everything for me. I feel hopeless and stupid right now", my voice cracked as I said that.

Gabby lifted me up, and scooted over to face me. I tried to look away, but she grabbed my chin to face her, "hey. Look at me Pony. You aren't stupid and it ain't your fault this all happened. It's my fault ya got jumped by those assholes, so if your gonna be mad at someone, don't take it out on yourself. Take it out on me".

I started bawling my eyes out and pulled Gabby into a hug. Darry, Dally, and Soda came over and hugged us tightly.