Chapter 19

GABBY'S POV:

After we finished eating dinner, I helped Pony walk over to the couch since he wanted to watch tv. I came back into the kitchen with Darry and Soda.

"Guys. You know what I just realized?", I said as I walked into the kitchen. The both turned around, "what'd ya realize?", Darry asked. I continued, "Keith, Steve, and Johnny still don't know Pony was jumped by those awful socs. What if they get riled up and jump on him tomorrow mornin' like they usually do? They could hurt him badly!".

Darry put his hand on my shoulder, "don't worry girly. They usually come before you 3 are awake. Ill just tell them before Pony wakes", as he finished his sentence we heard a loud thump come from Pony, Soda, and mines room. I rushed into the living room and saw, Pony was no longer on the couch. We exchanged looks and ran to the bedroom.

When we got in the room, Pony was sitting on the floor crying.

PONYBOY'S POV:

I had walked to our room to prove to myself that I really could walk. And I could. Well, I could until I actually got to our room. My ribs and chest started to ache, and I fell to the ground.

I hit the ground really hard and it hurt badly. I was also more frustrated than I had ever been before. Tears of pain and frustration started running down my cheeks. I buried my face into the ground and cried. I heard feet running down the hall and before I knew it, Gabby Darry and Soda were standing over me.

They knelt down beside me quickly, "Pony? Are you alright little buddy?", Darry asked rubbing my back.
My frustration turned into anger. I sat up and shouted, "NO DARRY! IM NOT OKAY! I GOT JUMPED BY A GROUP OF SOCS AND THEY BEAT ME TO THE POINT I CAN'T DO ANYTHIN' ON MY OWN! HELL, I CAN'T EVEN MOVE MY OWN HEAD WITHOUT ACHING! SO NO DARRY! I'M NOT OKAY!".

I looked over at Gabby and Soda. They hated it when people shouted around them. It upset them. I could tell when I yelled it upset Darry because he looked pissed. "OKAY WELL YOU LISTEN TO ME PONYBOY MICHAEL CURTIS! IT AIN'T MY FAULT THAT YOU GOT JUMPED! IT'S SODA'S FAULT FOR MAKIN' THAT STUPID PLAN JUST TO FIND OUT IF GABBY AND DALLAS WERE DATING?! WHO CARES IF THEY ARE OR AREN'T!", Dally screamed, and screamed. He wouldn't shut up.

Gabby came over to me and picked me up. She laid me down on the bed and she held me tightly as I cried. By now Darry had stopped shouting at me, but now he was screaming at the top of his lungs at Soda. Sodapop was bawling his eyes out by now. I looked up at Gabby and she had tears of anger in her eyes. That's never a good sign when Gabby gets angry.

She got up off the bed and walked over to Darry, "LISTEN TO ME YA GREASY GORILLA! IT AIN'T SODA'S FAULT! IT'S ALL MY FAULT BECAUSE I DIDN'T TELL SODA 'BOUT ME AND DALLY WHEN HE ASKED IN THE FIRST PLACE! NOW DARRY, YOU PROMISED ME AND SODA THAT WE WOULDN'T FIGHT ANYMORE! NOW LOOK AT YA! ALL YOU DO ANYMORE IS HOLLER AT US!", Gabby started hyperventilating from crying so much.

Gabby continued, "now Darry. I love you. Soda loves you. And Pony loves you. And all we want is our fun-loving big brother back. We love you more than anything and when you shout at us for the smallest things, it hurts us. More than you'll ever know.."

Gabby's words made all of us start bawling, even Darry. Darry walked over to Gabby and picked her up into a tight hug. "I'm so sorry baby girl. I had no idea how hard it was on you 3. It's just hard raisin' y'all when I'm barely an adult myself, and I guess the stress just gets to my head sometimes. When it gets to my head, it results in me takin' my anger out on you kids. I love you 3 more than anything and I'll always be here for you guys, no matter what. And I promise from now on. No more fighting, no more shouting, no more anger", Darry carried Gabby over to the bed with me. Soda walked over wiping his eyes. Darry pulled us all into a tight hug. We sat there cryin' together for what felt like forever.

Eventually we all fell asleep on Darry. I don't remember since I was asleep, but I'm assuming he carried Gabby and Soda to their own beds because when I woke up in the middle of the night to get water, they were in their own beds.

I decided to just go back to sleep because I didn't wanna wake Soda or Gabby just so I could have water. Instead, I limped over to Gabby's bed, holding onto stuff as I walked over to make sure I didn't fall. I cuddled up next to Gabby and she wrapped her arms around me. Gabby, Darry, and Soda were my home. To me, home isn't a house. It's my brothers and sister. When they held me tight, I felt at home, comfortable, and safe.