two

"Sorry, we had to call you in on your birthday."

"It's alright," I mumbled.

"Free drink in us at the end of shift."

"Thanks." I smiled.

"Happy birthday!" One of the girls said running over to me.

"Thank honey, anyone else here yet?"

"No, just me."

"When you get them ready can you go out on the bar?" Stella asked.

"Sure."

"First night on the bar!" The head bartender said walking in.

"Yep."

"Happy birthday by the way." He hugged me.

"Shu, but Thanks. I'm going to do my makeup." I went back to the make-up room and it took every ounce I had to not cry.

"Hey." I walked out to see Jill looking at the books. "What's up with that?" I looked down to where she was pointing.

"A pos for what?" I asked myself out loud.

"Four grand." She mumbled.

"Maybe the bar? I'll ask Damon." I closed the book and put it in my office. I refilled the water bottles and snacks and cleaned the makeup brushes. I walked out of the washroom to find the room partly full.

"Birthday girl!" One of the girls yelled.

"How's does everyone know it's my birthday?" I laughed.

"Damon." Stella smiled.

"I'll kill him." I nodded.

"Trying to steal his job?" One asked.

"Gotta pay rent somehow. You girls need anything else?" I asked.

"Did you find the tape after?"

"Fuck, I forgot it. You have any left?"

"She can borrow mine."

"If you need me I'll be at the bar, Stella can come to get me. Good luck." I waved towards them and left.

"Ready?" Damon asked as I put on the apron.

"Ready as ever." I did the first few orders, mostly just rum and coke and Damon came over when it got quiet.

"So."

"So?"

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing?" I shrugged.

"Dolly."

"Nothing Damon."

"Ok, I get it." He put up his hands and backed away making me smile.

"Hey," Stella said leaning over the bar. "Jade almost fainted."

"Go." Damon nodded. I took off the apron and went toward the stage, I walked up the steps behind the curtain and seen jade sitting down.

"Hey." I kneeled beside her. "What's up?"

"I just feel like headed." She mumbled.

"Did you eat?" I asked.

"Uh, kinda." She shrugged.

"Ok, stay there I'm going to get the glucose meter." I walked down the steps and brought up solid. "Sor-"

"Wow." I looked up as she laughed. "When your lease said accountant I didn't think it meant Tiktok accountant."

"Why are you here."

"I'm looking for the owner."

"Oh, so her stealing you from me then you guys kicking me out of my apartment isn't enough you guys want to steal my job too?"

"Your fucking crazy." She laughed.

"Crazy for ever thinking you'd change and maybe care about something other than yourself. Ya." I pushed past her and went into the back.

"Hey-"

"Someone wants you," I said cutting her off.

"Oh, good." She quickly walked out the door. I got the glucometer and checked Jade's sugar to see it was 2.1.

"Ok, you need juice." We went to the back and I got her juice and a cookie, by now everyone was gone out into the main area so we were alone. "Are you ok honey?" I asked.

"I'm fine." She slowly drank the juice and looked at me for a long second before tearing up.

"Hey, talk to me." I squeezed her knee lightly.

"I just feel really tired."

"Have you been eating?" I asked.

"Ya."

"What'd you eat today?"

"I ate."

"What'd you eat?" I asked she didn't speak. "Jade."

"Crackers."

"And?" She looked away. "Jade, what's up?"

"I just... I'm fine ok?" She laid the empty mini carton down and got up. "I'm good, I'm going back out." She walked away and I rubbed my eyes. I went back to the bar and as I served tables I saw Lucy walk back from Stella's office and sit in a private section right next to the stage. Kim's really ok with this?

"Ok, what's up," Damon said when I walked back to the bar.

"Nothing." I shook my head.

"Ok, well go serve table 13." I side-eyed him. "Well, tell me."

"I know her that's all."

"Huhum."

"Damon." He held out Lucy's order, rum neat. "She's my... I sold her a house."

"And you like her." He said waving over a server and passing her Lucy's drink.