fourteen

I walked into the cafeteria and looked around. "Dolly... what..." Lucy walked over to me and wrapped her arms around me tightly. "What are you doing here?"

"I... Andy got me to come. I only have an hour because your really not supposed to have visitors for two weeks."

"I... honestly didn't think I'd see you again, how'd you know I was here?"

"Google, I knew you'd be in nothing but the best."

"No, I mean in... rehab."

"You called me last night."

"Oh fuck." She mumbled sitting at one of the tables with a mug of coffee. "I... I'm sorry this isn't your problem anymore. I'll give you the money you wasted to come here."

"I didn't know it was bad... or a problem."

"It's fine ok. I'll be fine. Andy is a good person for you-"

"How do you know anything about her?"

"I was... just worried about who you were with so I just l did some research."

"You don't have to worry about me."

"Did I say... anything else when I called?"

"No," I mumbled. "You did do a line of coke though."

"Fuck sakes. I never wanted to put you through this Dolly... I am so sorry."

"Just focus on getting better."

"You still have clothes at my house if you want to go pick them up. I'll tell the person at the front desk to give you my key."

"Ok." I nodded slowly and she let out a breath.

"I'm sorry. For everything, I was a fucking ass hole and I know I'll never make it up to you. But I'm just fucking sorry." She said just above a whisper.

"Why... didn't your treatment start today?" I asked.

"Um, I had done some coke before I walked in and my doctor had an emergency call somewhere else so it'll start in the morning but I feel like crap right now. I was literally about to go throw up before you walked in but, my stomach feels ok right now."

"Lucy, doctor Jankins is on his way here now. Your wife is going to have to leave." The woman smiled.

"Ok, I'll walk her to the door." We started down the hall.

"Wife huh? Last time we were in a hospital together you were pretending to be the wife." I smiled to myself.

"Are you still taking your pills?" I ignored the question. "Kitte- Dolly. You need to take care of yourself. I... I just wanted to say again that I am so fucking sorry." We stopped by the door and I signed out.

"Can you give her my key please," Lucy said to the woman, she smiled and nodded going into a back room. "You can leave it in the house I'll get a spare from sky... I was talking to her and realized what happened the day you heard us. It was the only time we saw each other the whole trip, we went shopping for couches. And I guess without a visual it sounded... ya know. So I'm sorry."

"It's ok." I wanted to cry. "I... um... I would never change any of it. If that helps."

"I would. I would have told you that I loved you on the flight to England." I blinked away the tears. "Tell Andy I'm sorry." She leaned in and kissed me, I didn't want it to end but she pulled away and I left the building feeling numb. I went back to the hotel ready to cry, my head was pounding.

"Hey, everything ok?"

"No, not really." I shook my head. "I need a second." I stepped out on the balcony and took in a deep breath. I love her. There's no doubt about that but... Andy.