thirteen

My body was on new york time when I woke, I glanced at the clock to see it was six AM. I wasn't going to get back to sleep so decided to shower and dry my hair, by seven-thirty I was ready for the day to start. I sat out on the balcony with a cup of coffee and my brain wandered.

Why is Andy so nice? Why is she willing to do so much for me... bringing me all this way for my ex? "Hey."

"Morning." I smiled up at her.

"How are you feeling?" She asked.

"Weird. Why are you being so nice about Lucy?" I asked.

"Because I know how hard it is being in one of those places. Especially when you're alone."

"Have... you-"

"Been to rehab?" I nodded as she sat beside me. "Yep, well I told you my parents are Mormon so I wasn't allowed to drink or anything. When I turned 21 shit kinda went downhill, I was like ow alcohol and party's and girls and guys and sex aren't going to send me to hell so why not test the limits."

"So, you've... experimented."

"Ya. Drugs, sex, alcohol." She shrugged.

"And you went to rehab?"

"Yeah. It got bad, like really fucking bad. I lied to my parents told them that I was going to Arizona for a month with some friends to a Mormon bull shit event but in reality, my first girlfriend was getting me check into a rehab... where she broke up with me as she left. So I was there for a month and once I left I went home like nothing happened, when I turned 23 on my birthday I relapsed and then I was about a year on coke and smoking weed like I needed it to breathe. Three years ago I left Idaho moved here and went to firefighter school."

"Jesus... I'm so sorry Andy."

"Don't be. It was my own fault and I was stupid enough to do it so I had to deal with the consequences. Now I just drink alcohol, smoke cigarettes... and fuck."

"The night we met you were smoking weed."

"Ya. That was the first time in the three years I have been here. I... the night before we had a house fire call and... there was a pregnant woman... I couldn't get to her on time."

"Andy." I hugged her tightly.

"Life is hard and your the only person who can get Lucy to realize she could lose it. I know you can lead a camel to water, but it's worth a shot." It was quiet for a few minutes. "Do you know what clinic she's in?"

"I assume whatever the highest star one is. I don't think this would look good on her publicity side..." what is she doing now since she sold the company?

"Ok." She pulled out her phone going to Google, after a second she clicked and number and passed me the phone.

"Hello, Crosspointe Recovery center, Jennifer speaking how may I help you?"

"Hi, i-" fuck how do I go about this? "I was wondering if Lucille Davis can have visitors yet?"

"Could I get your name please?"

"Dolly Spencer." It was quiet for a second.

"Ok, because you are next of kin you're allowed to come to visit once her first two weeks are up."

"I was in New York when this happened and I only just got back..."

"Um... ok well technically her treatment won't start until tomorrow... so you can stop by for an hour."

"Oh... ok thanks."

"Visting hours are from 9 to 5."

"Thanks." I hung up. "I can see her for an hour. I feel so bad wasting your money to come here."

"You didn't do anything, so quiet." She kissed me again and I wrapped my arms around her tightly.