Chapter 82- I Dare You

Midoriya blinks open his eyes for the first time in days, keeping them wide to ward off tears as he looks around the room. Beside him is a plate of cut fruit, and a note from his mother asking him to call when he wakens. Midoriya sighs, knowing how worried she must be for his well-being. He turns his head to stare at the ceiling, fretting about Kota's safety as he counts the tiles above him. His mind is mostly blank, processing what had happened and trying to connect the dots to how he ended up where he is, and though it's common sense the thick fog in his head makes the dots move around like tadpoles on a pond floor.

"Hey, Midoriya! You're awake!" Kaminari smiles as he opens the door, a flow of classmates following. Midoriya turns his head toward them but stares through the bodies, his eyes still wide. "Did you see the news? Reporters are all over the school right now!" He mentions, briefly catching Midoriya up to speed with what he has missed.

"I made some food for you; I thought it would be better than hospital food," Mera timidly places the plate of chicken to the side, her eyes glancing at the bandages wrapped tightly around the greenette's arms and head. She knew Recovery Girl had seen him– why wasn't he better yet?

"I'm so sorry! If I had been more aware I wouldn't have been caught and I could have done more to help but I only got in the way!" Kaido's eyes are thick with tears, his pupils wavering against the liquid. He has felt guilty since the incident; if he was able to fight maybe Saiki would still be with the class.

"It's okay, Kaido. It wasn't your fault," Midoriya rasps, a weak smile forcing its way onto his face. This only pushes Kaido over the edge, his tears flowing freely as Uraraka gently rubs his back. Midoriya decides to ignore the teen, instead turning to Uraraka. "Did everyone in 1-A come to visit?"

"No... Iida is still asleep– the gas got him. Luckily Hairo was able to drag him out before there was too much damage. Yaoyorozu is recovering from her head injury. Thankfully she's awake now. Bakugo is outside, and Saiki..." Midoriya nods, signaling to Uraraka that he understands. The class waits in awkward silence, Midoriya's eyes slowly coming back to life as he grimaces at his failure in protecting his classmates.

"All Might told me there'd always be people beyond our reach, that we can't protect, even though we want to. Which is why we have to save the people we can reach. We were so close... I needed to save him. I had to. That's the entire reason I have my quirk," Midoriya's voice wavers, tears streaming down his face as he finally understands that one of his classmates is in the hands of villains. "I couldn't save someone that was right in front of me. And since I failed... he's gone."

"Alright. Then let's go get him." The class gasps in disbelief at Kirishima's words, their eyes wide with horror at what he's insinuating. They can't go behind the heroes' backs to save a classmate! "I was here yesterday, and so was Todoroki. We were on our way to visit you when we saw All Might and some police officer talking to Yaoyorozu. She was able to put a tracker on the nomu that attacked her at camp."

"So, you want Yaoyorozu to make another receiver..." Hairo muses, wincing to himself when Kirishima nods hesitantly. "I can't let you go. Not when I'm class president. The authorities will have Saiki back in no time; we can't just put ourselves in danger to save him. We'd only add to the problem if we're captured as well."

"Maybe! But all I know is that at camp, I couldn't do anything. I heard my classmates were targets, and I just stood by, helpless! So if I stand by and do nothing now, how am I supposed to call myself a hero or a man?" Kirishima argues, his brow furrowed in frustration. Hairo sighs, understanding his friend's dilemma but simply unable to agree with him.

"Kirishima, please, try to stay calm. We're in a hospital," Teruhashi gently reminds the redhead, who only grunts in response.

"And what Hairo said is true!" Asui adds, leaning into her crutch as she pipes up. Her leg is wrapped tightly in gauze, though she can put a little weight on it, and it should be healed soon.

"All of you, just listen to me for a minute. I know what you're saying is right... but still!" Kirishima holds a hand out to Midoriya, ignoring the fact that his classmate clearly can't move his limbs. "Come on, Midoriya! He's still within our reach! We can save Saiki!"

"So, let me get this straight... you're going to get Momo to make another receiver, track a bad guy, and try to save Saiki, all by yourselves?" Yumehara questions, doubt spreading through her as she lays out Kirishima's plan.

"The villains that attacked the camp planned to kill some of us, but they took Saiki alive. What we don't know is how long they'll let him live. That's why we're going after him," Todoroki explains, his monotone voice bringing no emotion into the conversation. The worst part is he's right, and the entire class knows it. After a brief moment of silence which sinks eagerly into the walls of the room, Mera pipes up.

"Hairo is right. We need to leave this to the professionals."

"We're all shocked that Saiki was taken. But we have to be rational. It doesn't matter how noble your intentions. If you go out there trying to find the bad guys, knowing you're breaking the rules, then you're acting like them!" Asui explains, nearly begging her classmates to understand her view. No one rebukes her. Until, that is, the door slams open.

"What kind of bullshit logic is that?" A familiar, angry growl sounds from the doorway, causing the class to turn toward the sound. Bakugo is fuming with rage, per usual, though Midoriya notices a small tint of pink around his eyes, and a little more nasal congestion in his voice than usual. Asui cowers for a moment at the noise, though straightens and stands her ground.

"If it's illegal it's illegal! There's no arguing that."

"Oh, so it's illegal to search for a missing person? If an AMBER alert went off on your phone right now would you ignore it?" Asui opens her mouth to rebuttal, though closes it when nothing comes to mind. "We're training to be heroes, aren't we? We can't just ignore someone in danger because it puts us in danger. If we did that, what kind of heroes would we be?" Bakugo asks, his piercing gaze meeting everyone's eyes as he sweeps the room. No one objects to his statement. "I'm getting Saiki, whether you want me to or not. Try to stop me. I dare you."