Chapter 1- Origin

A quick key to make this easier on you:

Italicize= Saiki's thoughts.

Italicize + Bold = other people's thoughts

Italicize + underline = Saiki speaking

Normal text = narration by Saiki

"Quotation marks" = "speaking of other characters"

CAPS = NARRATION NOT DONE BY SAIKI

Oh, and also, I want to mention that this chapter does follow the anime(s) kind of closely. This is simply because it's the, you know, origin, so I have to explain the characters and backstory and stuff for people who may not watch one of the animes. I'm sorry if this annoys you, but I genuinely believe it to be necessary. This story, in my opinion, does differ drastically from the original anime(s), so hopefully this chapter doesn't turn you off or anything.

So... yeah. That should do it.

Enjoy!

=^.^=

The first incident was in Qing Qing City. An extraordinary child was born who radiated light. After that, reports of people with superpowers popped up across the globe. No one knew what was causing these "quirks". Before long, the supernatural became the totally normal. Dreams a reality. The world became a superhuman society, with about 80% of the population processing some uncanny ability. Our streets looked like scenes from comic books. As cities swirled with chaos and confusion a new profession dominated our collective consciousness. It was an age of heroes.

When you have supernatural powers, the impossible becomes possible. My name is Kusuo Saiki, and I have psychic superpowers. 14 years ago an ordinary couple gave birth to a not-so-ordinary baby boy. I started talking when I was 14 days old, without using my voice. Soon afterward, I started walking when I was one month old. In the air. And at one year old, I ran my first errand.

My mom finally started to worry about me. Now you'd think after a year of this weirdness they'd take me to get tested, but my folks are kind of weird themselves. Not to mention, lazy. They can still act like love-birds, and they take everything in stride- including me, and all my weird quirks.

So time rolled on. I became the person you see now. A middle school student. As you would probably expect, I still have my quirks. I can bend spoons like any good psychic, and I can win any corporate giveaway I want. My life is a dream come true.

...

That is what you're thinking, right?

Well, let me drop some truth bombs. Bending spoons makes it harder to eat, and winning free popsicles just leads to stomachaches. 'He's that happiest boy alive, that boy can have anything and do anything!' Well, that's dead wrong. I'm the unhappiest boy alive, a boy who has nothing! Telepathy, psychokinesis, x-ray vision, foresight, teleportation, clairvoyance, et cetera et cetera. Sure, I can do all those things! But having powers like that also means having something taken away.

Sort of like how because we feed our pets they've lost the ability to hunt. Or when a mother spoils her child he loses the ability to become a functional adult. In this way, there are some key experiences I've missed out on. Hard work, cumulating in the sense of success, the thrill of being thrown a surprise party, they're all totally foreign to me. Sure, I never get angry or sad about anything, but that just means there's no joy or thrill in my life either.

Maybe I should focus on the bright side though. No drama means things are always peaceful for me, and that's not bad.

I know what you're thinking.