42. The Drill

We walked to Ba Sing Se with a slow pace. We had almost reached the wall till we saw Aang flying back to us. "Aang, what are you doing here?" Katara asked. "I thought you were looking for Appa."

"I was but something stopped me. Something big." He answered.

"I don't think I like the sound of that." I said as we walked to the wall. Aang and Toph took us up the wall then we saw what he was talking about.

"Now, what's so big that Appa has to wait?" Sokka asked but I pointed him to the direction of something I had never seen before.

"We've made it to Ba Sing Se and we're still not safe. No one is." Ying said sadly and her family hugged her.

"What are you people doing here? Civilians aren't allowed on the wall." A solider said as he approached us.

"I'm the Avatar. Take me to whoever's in charge." Aang said. Some soliders took Ying and her family to the city after we said our goodbyes. Katara looked so sad, saying she would miss the baby the most.

Another solider took us to whoever was in charge, giving me a chance to see some type of drill with the Fire Nation insignia on it. I sighed. We hadn't even entered the city. Sokka saw my facial expression and put his arm around me in comfort. I hoped I wouldn't  get angry soon. I had been managing my anger very well and I hadn't seen my fire lily necklace since Appa went missing so I had nothing to keep me calm.

We were taken to a war general who didn't really looked like he wanted our help. I guess all he saw was a bunch of kids. "It is a honour to welcome you to the outer wall, young Avatar, but your help is not needed." He said. Ah, I knew it.

"Not needed?" Aang asked, surprised.

"Not needed. I have the situation under control. I can assure you, the Fire Nation cannot penetrate this wall. Many have tried to break through it and none have succeeded." He said as he led us out of his office. He reminded me of Iroh's six hundred day war at Ba Sing Se, trying to take over the city and he failed and lost his son Lu Ten. I still didn't believe him though. Times have changed since then.

"What about the dragon of the west? He got in."  Toph said and she folded her arms. I was shocked that she knew this. But I guess everyone did.

"Well, technically, yes but he was quickly expunged." The general said. "Nevertheless, that's why the city is named Ba Sing Se, it's the impenetrable city. They don't call it Na Sing Se." And he started laughing, then his face became serious. "That means penetrable city."

"Yes, thanks for the tour but we still got the drill problem." Toph said.

"Not for long. I've sent an elite platoon of earthbenders called the terror team." He said as he looked over the wall.

"That's a good group name. Very catchy." Sokka said. I can't believe that's what he caught on.

"Guys, I say we go down there and stop this drill. I don't know why we're asking permission for." I told them. Toph agreed.

"This is their city. We don't want another city hating us." Aang said and I groaned. We went to where the general was to watch the terror team take out the drill. That was until we couldn't see the 'team' anymore. After looking in the binoculars the general screamed,

"We're doomed!"

Sokka slapped him."Get ahold of yourself man."I rolled my eyes. Why were we always meeting stupid people?

"You're right. I'm sorry." He apologized.

"Maybe you'll like the Avatar's help now?" Toph asked and her, Sokka and I snickered as he humbly went to Aang.