9. The Escape

We were back in the Earth kingdom. Shyu and the other fire sages were sent to the Firelord. Kuzon and I gave our last goodbyes to Shyu. We hoped that he wouldn't be given a horrible sentence but since he helped the Avatar there was a possibility that he would be executed. He knew it and told us that he knew that whatever waited for him in the palace was not good. I hoped that my goodbye was cheerful enough for him. Firelord Ozai sent my father to some Earth kingdom town. He had to check the coal supply which seemed to be low. We would be staying there for a few days. I had decided that this would be my opportunity to escape. I had to get a good look at the environment before running off. I hadn't even told Kuzon about my idea. I was hopeful that he would be okay with it and maybe even join me. But I knew it would be asking him to betray his nation and probably be on the run till the war is over. He might say no. We were just one day away from the town and I was gripping the rails due to nervousness that I couldn't show.

"I think you're going to squeeze the rails with that grip. " Kuzon said as he came over.

"Didn't you hear? I'm a metal bender." I joked. He laughed. I had to tell him. I couldn't just leave without telling him. He would understand, I thought. However, not in this area where my father and other people could see us.

"How about some tea in my room?" I asked.

"I'll be there. Hopefully no one suspects me. Jasmine, Ginseng or?"

"Ginseng." He left and I decided to head to my room. As I passed my father, he stopped me.

"Is that solider bothering you?" He asked. I tried not to show my annoyance. I knew he didn't care.

"No Father. I just love ordering him around." I said in a bored tone.

When I said that, I felt like puking. I sounded like Zuko's little sister, Azula. That girl was and I bet she still is a meanie. I bowed to my father and he did the same thing before I exited the dock.

<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~
"Give me my tea, Kuzon!" I whined. I tried grabbing it but Kuzon kept on moving it behind till I backed him up on the door. I continued to stretch for it but he was obviously taller than me.

"What's the magic word?"

"Umm hit Kuzon with a teapot?" I joked.

"Nope."

"Stab Kuzon's armour with a dagger?" I said smiling.

"Are you serious?"

I pouted." Fine. Please." He gave me my tea and I swat his arm. We talked some more and laughed so hard till I thought my ribs were breaking. He looked so happy smiling and I knew I couldn't hide the truth from him. He had been a good friend to me these past weeks and I wanted him to know where I was planning to go and what I was planning to do. "Kuzon?"

"Yes." He prolonged I bet wondering why I had become serious all of a sudden.

"Please don't freak out by what I'm going to tell you. I ....... want.......to help the Avatar." I finished quickly.

His face changed from a smile to a frown. "Are you serious? How are you going to do that? The Fire Nation will be everywhere looking for you. How are you even going to find him?"

"I was going to ask you if you wanted to come along but I guess your answer is no." I said looking away.

He took my hands." I hate this war as much as you do. I hate taking over towns and killing people but this is going overboard. It's going to endanger your safety. You're going to have a burning flame over head ready to burn you at any given moment."

I stood up quickly and looked away. I had expected this reaction. "I have to do it. I can't just watch people die and suffer. I have to help. It's fine if you don't want to come. I'm not forcing you to come with me but please, don't stop me from not going." I've had thoughts over the past months of forgetting the plan and staying home. But something kept on telling me that I had to move forward and do this for the world. It felt like it was my duty. Kuzon nodded and I hugged him tightly. I was going to miss him.