25. The Siege of the North Part 1

I breathed in and out. Although he was tough, I was still able to defeat him. I charged to him as I punched him in the face. He fell back a little but came back up. He tried punching me but I ducked .He punched me and I drew back a little. I then did a flip and kicked his chin with my right foot. He fell and I did the same, exhausted.

"You're tough." Sang told me.

"I'm supposed to be tough." After some moments of silence he asked,

"Do you want us to go to for a snack before we continue to train?"

"That sounds good." I answered. He stood up and helped me stand. I had been working and training for three weeks now from hand to hand combat and bow and arrows. I also learned how to spar with a spear since these guys didn't own swords. I met Sang after Katara started her training. He was supposed to be getting married next week in which I promised I would attend his wedding." So where we are going? The palace kitchen?"

"Where else? Is there another place they can give the Avatar's friend free food?"

I gasped." You're using me. Kaila needs to hear about this." Kaila was his fiancee. She was very nice.

"You wouldn't dare." I laughed at his facial expression. All of a sudden it started to snow but the snow was mixed with soot? I gasped. " What's wrong?" It didn't take him long to realize what was the issue. And it was a lot of soot.

"The Fire Nation is coming."

<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<
Sang and I ran to the palace as everyone was being summoned by the chief. I had already started to get an ugly feeling in my stomach. I ran inside to find Aang and Katara and I sat by them. Sokka joined us later on. I snuck a peek at him and he looked mad. The princess must have not liked him very much. Sang went to sit in the front. Everyone had concerned and worried looks on their faces.

" The day we had feared for so long has arrived." The chief said once everyone had settled." The Fire Nation is at our doorstep and it's with great sadness I call my family before me knowing well that some of these faces are about to vanish from our tribe but they will never vanish from our hearts. Now as we approach the battle for our existence I call upon the great spirits:  spirit of the moon, spirit of the ocean be with us. I need volunteers for a dangerous mission."

"Count me in." Sokka rose quickly.

"Sokka." Katara said. Before he left,  I took his hand.

"What are you doing? What if you die?" I asked softly. I was not going to lose another person.

"Now is when care about me?" He asked coldly and shook off my hand." After being cold for the past few weeks?" With those words he left, and I felt tears wanting to pour down. What if he died?

"Don't worry. No one's going to die. I'll make sure of it." Aang said as he gently squeezed my hand.

" Be warned; many of you will not return. Come forward to receive my mark if you accept the task." I watched Sokka was the second in line, and saw Sang too.

"Agni." I whispered." Please be with us."

<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<
I was with Aang as we stared off at the horizon. None of us spoke and the silence was dreadful. For some reason I felt like my father had something to do with this. He even might be in charge of this invasion.I sighed. I hadn't thought about him in a long time. He was admiral now and if he won this battle, he'd become general. I couldn't let it happen.

"The stillness before battle is unbearable." The chief said as he joined us with Katara.

" True " I agreed.