16. The reality of it all

I did have the answer, but I couldn't think of how to present it. He was angry, I could see it in his eyes but other emotions started to show; shock, betrayal and now I was feeling worse. "Answer me." He roared. I moved back till I reached the edge of the bed. He was starting to frighten me.

"I was with the Avatar." I muttered but as soon as I said it, flames came from his finger tips.

"I can't believe you would do that, you of all people. You knew I was chasing him and you go join him?" He asked exasperatedly.

" Because it is the right thing to do." I tried my best to speak calmly.

"Right thing to do? Betraying your friend is the right thing to do?" He asked.

Betraying your friend sinked into my mind. I was now angry. " I was betraying you? I'm sorry if ending the war is betraying you. I can't believe you've spent 3 years searching for the Avatar to go back to a man who doesn't care about you."

"Liar! That isn't true." He screamed but I continued.

"I'm lying? You're acting like I've never met Ozai before. He loves Azula. He doesn't love you and we both know that. Stop wasting your time and instead of trying to capture the Avatar, join us and help defeat your father." I screamed. 

Zuko started to breath heavily and before I knew it he screamed in rage and red flames with yellow tips swirled around the room and I tried to duck but some of them got on the shirt I was wearing and I screamed as I felt it touch my arm. I removed the shirt quickly. I've been burnt so many times but this one felt like it sliced my skin. Zuko stopped his tantrum and looked at me with an icy and dark look. When he left is when tears started to fall. Zuko burnt me. On purpose. I had never thought it would happen but it did.

"What happened here?" Iroh asked taking a fan to fan away the smoke. My bed had started to burn from the edge but I didn't move. I was still processing that Zuko just burnt me. Another solider came into view. I kept looking at the burn. It wasn't that bad but I still couldn't believe..... "Taliya?" Iroh placed his hand on my shoulder making me lurch. It's when I realized I was shirtless. I wore the shirt and he gave me his hand and lifted me up. " Let's get you another room and get ointment for that burn ." I followed him out of the smoke filled room. We went back to the medicine room. I was really hoping he wouldn't ask me what had happened. He didn't. He just asked if I wanted tea and I agreed. I hadn't drank tea in a long time and I knew Iroh loved tea. He came into the new room with tea after ten minutes.

"Thank you." I whispered. My throat was sore from shouting. I tasted it and it was sweet. It was Jasmine! "You remembered my favorite tea." I smiled.

"Of course. Why would I forget?" We continued to drink in silence. The idea of betrayal was still running through my mind so I asked him, " I've joined the Avatar and now I'm starting to doubt myself. I know I'm doing the right thing but I don't know, I feel.......weird."

"You shouldn't. Just believe in what you are doing is right. Everyone has their own destiny. I think you've found the right path. Stick to it." I listened carefully to what he was saying as his words sank into my mind.

" Thank you. For your advice and the tea."

"You're welcome." He said with a kind smile. I waited for Iroh to leave after we finished tea for me to fall on my bed. I couldn't wait for the morning to arrive so I could get out of this place. I didn't want to see Zuko and I already started to miss Sokka.

<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~
I ran as fast as I could through the pillars. I hid behind a pillar waiting for Zuko to catch me.