40. The Trials

We all looked at Aang as the sand filled winds surrounded him. I wanted to go help him but Sokka wouldn't let go of my hand." It's too dangerous." He said and I stopped pulling, knowing his strength would outdo mine.

"Where's Katara?" I asked as I tried to make myself see through the sand. I did see blue clothing next to Aang and like that she disappeared. I turned to Sokka to ask him if knew where his sister had gone but he too had disappeared along with Toph.

Aang, still in the Avatar State, now seemed to be glaring at me. I slowly backed away. What was happening? " Anger is a very strong emotion." Aang said in clearly what was not his voice, but the dark spirit's voice. I tried my best to move but I couldn't. My feet were firm in the ground. I didn't want to be here, I didn't want to listen what he had to say."And if directed in the right way it could make you very powerful." I clasped my hands to my ears. I wanted to go back where the rest where. This wasn't Aang. This was a dream that I couldn't get out of. I wasn't angry. I wasn't sad. I was happy, I repeated to myself. I was happy."Sometimes, lies are much easier to deal with. Because sometimes, the cold hard truth destroys you." The dark spirit said as if he read my mind. Maybe he did, I didn't want to figure it out. He was right. I was angry; angry that I couldn't control the power I had flowing inside my veins, angry that it was given to me, angry that my brother had died and my father followed afterwards, angry that Zuko had to suffer and couldn't go home unless he caught the only light in the world, angry that my people caused this leading to many and many deaths.

"Taliya, don't listen to him. Don't give in to the darkness." I heard Kiki's voice say. I couldn't trace the origin of her voice as I looked around frantically.

" I will help you control your powers as long as you give in to me." The dark spirit said. A young girl my age appeared beside Aang. She has pale skin and long dark brown hair that was slowly turning grey. She was wearing water tribe clothing and when she opened her eyes, her amber eyes turned grey and glowed.

This....was me.

I looked scary. Anger was etched in every line of my face except for the grim smirk on my face. I couldn't accept that." I'm sorry." I said as tears slowly started to pour down my face." I can't accept that. Saying those words was a horrible mistake. Aang and dark me rose to the sky. Aang looked ready to strike me and dark me had fire, the the element I feared completely. They sent air and fire at me and I closed my eyes wishing this to be over and I opened them to someone shaking me.

I didn't realize who they were till I found deep blue eyes staring at me and a long brunette braid falling off her shoulder." Are you okay? Kiki came to wake me up."

I sat up. We were still in Gashuin's home." Yeah, I'm.... I'm fine." I said as my eyes moved from her face to the two sleeping figures on the floor, probably Sokka and Toph. I looked back at Katara ready to ask where Aang was but  her worried look prevented me too." Katara, I'm okay. It's just the trials of being with the Avatar." I said jokingly and she frowned. I watched her leave and Kiki came to sit on my lap. It wasn't the trials of being with the Avatar.

It was the trials of being the Rainbow Sylph.

<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<
I hadn't felt this relaxed since we swam by the river close to the cave of two lovers. I was wading in the water with Aang and Katara as we splashed water at each other. The water was cold and the sun was still hot. It had been a week since we had lost Appa and we  made sure that no one mentioned him, for Aang's sake.

Toph had her legs in the water and well Sokka was, studying his maps and scrolls. I didn't understand why he was doing it and we needed to relax before we  walk and may I repeat walk to Ba Sing Se. He still wasn't keen on talking to me which I had to admit annoyed me. After Katara got out of the water I followed her and as I squeezed water from my hair I felt eyes on me. I looked up to see who it was, and he immediately averted his eyes back to the maps.