1. Leaving The Fire Nation

For those who are reading my book again, congrats you've become obsessed with ATLA just like me...

And for those who are reading my book for the first time, Thank you for choosing to read my book. I know it's not the best because I have read better fanfics out there but I appreciate you giving my book a chance.

I enjoy writing and reading like nothing else in this world and reading fanfics is more amazing because it's cool to see how people would imagine the original storyline going in different directions.

I also love to learn from my mistakes so if you would wish to correct me go ahead. I can take it! It will help me write better books in the future.

Enjoy!

I stared at the breath taking view before me; from the beautiful green trees to the enchanting fire lilies, my favorite type of flower. I was going to miss it all. I then turned around to the vast ocean which seemed to have no end. The Fire Nation was beautiful and I wouldn't ever think otherwise. The sea air was salty and moist, and the air made my hair fly. I smiled wistfully. I was so absorbed by my surroundings I didn't realize my friends were near by. So when I felt a tap on my shoulder, I turned around startled.

"Ty Lee, Onji you scared me!" I said in an accusing tone.

"Where's the fun in not scaring you?" Onji said in a jokingly matter. But I could see past 'the joke'. She didn't like the decision I had made for myself.

"Taliya , you know this is your last chance to stay at home if you have second thoughts of going." Ty Lee said worriedly.

"I already told you a hundred times that I'm going and nothing's going to stop me." I had never been this sure about anything in my life. I was not needed here. My friends looked at me with sad smiles. I knew they weren't happy. But there was no way I could explain to them on how I needed to do this. I've dreamt about it. It was like something pushing me out of my town and into the world.

I recognized a face that was coming slowly towards the ship that had just arrived in the port. "Mom, you came!"I exclaimed as I ran to her.

"Of course I did." she said as she opened her arms for me to hug her.

"But for the past week you've been so angry at me." And it was scary. It was  like I had broken her heart all over again. I knew that we both would  never recover from past events. And I knew that going  on this trip will ruin her. But I couldn't  avoid it.

"That's because I still don't understand why you're leaving Taliya." She said sadly  as she looked at the sun in the sky as if it would give her an answer.

"I'm leaving so I can learn how to fight in the army." I said firmly as I looked into her golden brown eyes.

"Why do you even want to join the army?"Ty Lee said, "Your life is fine over here, trust me." She folded her arms and glared at me. For once the pink clothing on her did not look cheerful. I sighed. This was becoming  harder by the second.

"Yeah, what about you're father? He's a monster."Onji then turned to my mom "No offense, Lady Sayuri."

"None taken Onji." My mother said with a shrug.

"Besides you're the best archer in the area for your age."

"You're also good in daggery."

"Daggers?"my mom asked "How come I didn't know of this?" She looked at me with a frown. I had been betraying her. Instead of learning  to be a pretty lady in society, I had been learning  to  become a warrior.

"Because if I told you, you would have disagreed."

"Well, that's true." Mom looked at the sun again, probably muttering a prayer to Agni before she faced me. "Now Taliya promise me one thing: you won't die like Rashan."

When my mom mentioned my brother's name, I felt all the sadness that I had hidden inside me spill out. I knew the wall I had been building in my mind had been crumbling when they were against my plan but now I couldn't hide the tears. I missed him and I blamed my dad for his death. He forced him to join the army and after a few months he died in the war. He never got married. He never got to have a family of his own. I never got to see my role model again. My brother, Rashan, who I admired so much for dealing with father the way I could never do. My brother, who would sing his funny songs to sleep and promise me that everything would be alright. I already hated my father but when my brother died, my hate grew.

"Mom, I won't die. I won't leave you. I promise." I told her as I took her hands into mine.

"Are you really, really sure that you want to train for the army? With your father? In the Earth Kingdom?" My mother said gently. I sometimes wondered how someone as gentle as my mother got married to someone as ruthless as my father.

"Yes Mom I'm sure."

"Well I'll miss you."Ty Lee said as she hugged me followed by Onji. My mom then gave me a big bear hug. I was really going to miss all of them. I headed towards the ship guilty. They believed my lies. I was not just going to train in the army. I was going to go for a different reason that if anyone figured it out, I would probably be killed. I was going to help the Earth Kingdom win the war. I knew it was a dumb plan because I had no idea what I was going to do but I knew I had to do it. I've had this thought for a few years and it's been stronger with every day that passes by.

I knew it was going to be difficult since I was going to an Earth Kingdom port that was managed by my father. But I couldn't take the madness that was coming out of the war. Not after my brother died. I had decided that I needed to help stop the war any way I could. The Fire Nation didn't care about anyone but those who could fight in taking over the world.

When I got in the ship, I was shown to my room by a servant. She carried my luggage to the room. After making sure my room was okay, I ran up to see the last glimpse of home when the ship started to move. My mother and friends were waving back at me and I did the same. I watched them till I could see nothing but the ocean. I didn't know if I was going to see home soon but I had a sinking feeling that I wouldn't. I stood there for hours gripping to the rail until I saw a young solider headed towards me.

"Lady Taliya would you like anything?"

"Not really." I said as I looked at the water." How long is this trip?"

"Two weeks and a half your ladyship."

I was surprised by his soft and polite voice. "What's your name?"

"Kuzon"

"You're a new recruit, aren't you?" I asked. There was no way he wasn't. He looked like he hadn't seen the horrors of war yet.

"How did you know?" He asked, surprised. I giggled.

"You look young." I said which probably sounded weird because he looked older than me.

"Young but older than you." he said proudly and I was going to say something about it but he looked at the other soldiers then left hurriedly.

He probably wasn't supposed to be talking to me. At least I talked to someone. I didn't want to stay bored on this ship for two weeks. I was going to see my father. My father who I loathe.

Edited on 5/2/23