t w e n t y - f i v e

if you are reading this story on any other platform apart from Wattpad (https://www.wattpad.com/home) you are very likely to be at the risk of a malware attack. if you wish to read this story in it's original, safe form please go to (https://www.wattpad.com/user/a_soft_bun). thank you!

t w e n t y - f i v e

The afternoon is placidly cold, the winds brisk as it roam the airs, accompanied by thick hoards of clouds that clump together in the sky, which no longer bleeds blue. It's a mere sea of grey and grey alone, the threat of rain being unleashed down to the surface below prominent.

A sigh comes from the dark-haired male, eyes clinging to the windows toned smoky and stark in colour. His chest feels heavy, a burdening weight on his shoulders. His movements feel restricted, the beast within him mournful.

A flock of wolves pass by his form, which has stilled in quiet thought, a submissive bow as they go along. His eyes rake over them momentarily, ears picking up the hustle and the words spilling from their mouths. He recognises them as some of the higher wolves in the Adolfo pack, generals and leaders of different sectors; they'd all just been in the board room with him ten minutes earlier.

It had been a couple of days after the rogue attack in the parking lot, the chaos having simmered down. Lyra had conducted a meeting once ensuring this matter was concealed from the likes of human interference, talking with all of his wolves about what further action and measurements they'd be taking.

This was a matter involving him – the attacks were on his lands, and the rogues could also expand their wrath to the neighbouring humans or other pack wolves. They were provoked.

Rogues were finnicky, and during recent weeks have surged in influx, numbers exponentially growing by the day. Rogues had never been a problem for this pack, or any pack really, yet here they were all accumulating.

He knows why, thinking of his half.

His brows still dip – several other Alpha's hadn't had such an adverse reaction from the lone wolves when their soul became whole. Why was it the case with him? His ranking surely meant nothing to these wolves – they left the wolf way long ago.

He shakes his head. Whatever the reasoning was, it compromised Nova's safety.

A heavy sigh comes from him, a tightness seizing his heart and his stomach lurching when thinking of the mocha-hued female. His jaw settles hard, body growing unsettled when thinking back to that dreadful attack.

His eyes brim when her expression comes into mind again, the way her body shook and the wide, distraught feel emancipating her expression. Her cries and sobs haunt him.

The look of terror when her eyes had fallen onto him is engraved into his mind.

A growl rips from his throat just thinking about it. This was never his intention. He didn't ever want her to find out like this. But she had. He had to shift, there were a dozen of them, and it was the faster option. Not a hair more had been touched to her head because he had shifted.

The blood drenching her clothes stirs the beast within him, jaws snapping with rage. He tries to control himself, ignoring the feel of compression taking hostage of the entire length of his chest.

Romaeus didn't know how he was going to tell her. He didn't know if he would be able to stand the fear in her expression, or the morbid disgust in her eyes. She saw it all, she knew the blood that stained his hands. He didn't know how fragile her mentality must be at this point.

His head and heart pounds in distress, a small flicker of worry sitting in him. Would this be the end of their line? Romaeus loved her enough to let her go, but that wouldn't cease the inevitable pain that he would have to live with day in and day out.