t h i r t y - s e v e n

if you are reading this story on any other platform apart from Wattpad (https://www.wattpad.com/home) you are very likely to be at the risk of a malware attack. if you wish to read this story in it's original, safe form please go to (https://www.wattpad.com/user/a_soft_bun). thank you!

t h i r t y - s e v e n

"Rome," it is a low tone from the female standing in the centre of the room, hands folded over her cactus-green sweater, material tucked into the black material of her skirt.

Her brown eyes narrow at her best friend. She was the last to remain, the rest of the gathering in the office having left a half hour ago, to become the perfect hosts for the night set out before them.

The Alpha was late.

Mara rolls her eyes; she was now also late for her date with Opal, the female having gone off earlier without an explanation. After hearing of Mama's plans, Mara has no doubt her half would have dolled Nova up beautifully for this dinner. Opal was a make-up artist as well as having an imposing presence in the fashion industry. She created art worthy of the gods.

The male in the room was clearly not himself, slumped in the chair of his desk with his head resting over the sheened table. His breathing is ragged and coarse, chest rising up and down as the wolf claws its way up through his throat. His muscles have shifted, veins darker and bones angled closer to the skin.

There's no gold in his eyes; it simply bleeds a sea of copper and bronze.

Mara's surprised he hasn't shifted through yet, the snarls and roars ripping through his throat as he battles himself.

The general is also amused; she'd never seen him without restraint. But this was different. This was an Alpha male trying to come to terms with the fact that his mate could potentially be in the way of harm. Not physical necessarily, but emotional. The dinner wasn't going to go well, not with how Mama had played it.

He's livid.

It's a sigh, nearing him and curving to the back of his chair. Her hands rest against the scope of his back, feeling his spine shake beneath his skin.

"Rome. There's no changing it. Nova's already probably mingling with them. Nothing can be done about it. Mama played her cards well," Mara looked up the woman and her cunning ways.

"I'm just frustrated. I never wanted her to be dragged into this," he says after several moments, his breathing becoming steadier. Mara nods, listening.

"I know. But as I said, it's already happening. It would've happened whether Mama warned us or not. Because that's what this 'meeting' was about. It wasn't her telling us what she thought, it was her warning us of what was going to be happening tonight," Mara murmurs.

"She was giving you notice beforehand to keep yourself in check for when shit does happen. She was warning you not to fuck up. You can't go in there and kill the girl Rome. No matter what happens," the male below her seethes, but the general smacks the back of his head.

The wolf's canines are pulled in.

"You can't kill Layla, or the Alpha and Luna. They leave here unscathed. You change that, and you've gone against the Law. You can't. You can't for yourself, for your family and this pack. What you can do it, is let it happen and be there for Nova," she murmurs.

"The 'plan' is already occurring. There is no point in jeopardizing the only opportunity that we have to get some form of confession from them. This is our only chance, Mama is right. We have to take it. I understand that it's not nice to be using Nova as bait like this. I understand that Mama should've run the idea first. But she didn't. I think you should remember; this is all in the name of Nova. We want to get her justice. We love her," she reminds him.