t w e n t y - e i g h t

if you are reading this story on any other platform apart from Wattpad (https://www.wattpad.com/home) you are very likely to be at the risk of a malware attack. if you wish to read this story in it's original, safe form please go to (https://www.wattpad.com/user/a_soft_bun). thank you!

t w e n t y - e i g h t

The dark-haired female is still in movement, accompanied by the quiet of the wind that falls around her. The air is sharp, biting across the surface of her skin, which now slowly tinges blue in colour. The breaths she exhales are condensed, falling from her mouth in heavy streams.

Her arms are folded over herself, limbs trembling despite the several layers she now adorned – her newest being Rocco's fur coat- with the cold still managing to shock her through to bone.  Nova was perched outside the sleek car she had been sat in for the last five hours, most of which she spent wide awake, hues taking in every inch of these foreign lands.

They had long left human civilisation, travelling far from the airport, the cluster of houses, the crowded town centre points where markets and different food stalls had been set up. The last of the human settlement she had seen was the gas station they stopped at so she could use the facilities.

They had embarked on a path of isolation from that, the last two hours on an abandoned road that led them far and wide, to the very outskirts of the country. Every acre of land here was under the Martelli name, and classed as private property.

This had been explained to Nova before she chose to come here; the way in which the Adolfo and the Martelli pack worked were extremely different. The Adolfo pack integrated alongside humans and the way they worked, allowing wolves to establish lives beyond their animal counterparts.

The Martelli pack lived in isolation from humans, forming a strictly wolf society apart from human mates. This didn't mean they were primitive, or savage in the ways they lived – they lived 'normally'. This was done so to encourage closer relationships and bonds within the pack. In the end, a pack that were closely bonded would be stronger.

It also meant that rogues and lone wolves didn't accumulate around here – such lone wolves' sought out human companionship after leaving pack life. Such a dense area of wolf population was unattractive to them, and thus safer for Nova.

Only two packs lived like this; the other eleven resembled the Adolfo lifestyle.

The region she had landed in was nothing like her old home. It was cold, with the sky being held hostage by thick clouds that leashed snow in thick and heavy clumps. It blanketed the ground in a weighted layer; her trainers sink into it now, becoming wet and introducing an icy sensation into her sole.

They are surrounded by spruce trees, which are gallant in their wake, standing tall and proud. The bark they wear like skin is glossy and smooth, vibrant in a warm, marron-brown colour. The leaves decorating the tips of the trunks are waxy, muted and dirty in a green tone. A thinner layer of white adorns them. The ferns and bushes that ally together below are different shades of earthy colours, most shadowed by the prominent brightness of the snow that continually falls.

Such scenery had swallowed Nova's view in the last hour or so, and more of it flocks around. They pulled into a courtyard of some sorts.

Her eyes peek around carefully, finding the two cars that had been travelling alongside them. The security men that she had seen in the airport retreat out of those, heading to the trunks and taking the luggage out.

Nova watches their movements carefully, lips falling open with surprise when they take Leo's cage from her hand, though no sound comes along with it. The tabby had been happy in the journey, taking advantage of the fact that he had her lap all to himself throughout, with the other two men taking up the space in the front, talking in the low tones of their native tongue.