⋆5༄ The Unexpected.

Hey, everyone. The reason why I'm updating once again is very... heart-breaking. I just got a message that someone from our little family, here, on wattpad, has recently passed away. The only reason why her sister reached out to me is because she knew how much she loved this book... this much that it was the last thing opened on her phone. I'm truly devastated. I always say that you mean a lot to me and it's not a lie. I'm really sorry to hear that I'll never be able to see her comment again. Just like the title of this chapter (which I wrote a while ago, and now I think it was a sign) knowing that you died was really unexpected.
We will all miss you.

In loving memory of imaaann_

/May you touch
Dragonflies and stars
Dance with fairies
And talk to the moon./

—————————

Twelve in the afternoon on the dot I'm dressed in a black apron and a T-shirt that I was provided by Charlotte — my manager. Mason, as a supervisor, was ordered to look after me all day during my first shift. Being honest, I feel quite uncomfortable around him now because he gave me his number and I haven't messaged him yet — not that I was going to anyway.

"Okay, we're open. Are you ready?" he questions, his smooth voice soothes my nerves.

"I'm not sure," I chuckle tensely, fixing my apron so it sits straight.

"You'll be fine. Plus, I'm here if you need any help," he responds, making a step towards me, his hand lands on my arm in a gentle manner.

I tilt my head up to look at him, his cobalt-blue eyes are hypnotizing, holding my stare like a strong magnet. "Thanks," I murmur, exhaling heavily, preparing myself for my first shift.

"Have you checked our menu online?" he asks, and I nod my head.

"Yeah, this morning. Couldn't memorize it all but I've learnt most of it."

The truth is, I've been to this restaurant so many times, I mean, not this one in particular but the one located in a different area of London, so I know the menu quiet well. After waking up this morning I just learnt the stuff that I wasn't very familiar with. Luckily, I didn't feel tipsy nor hangover when my alarm went off.

"That's great," Mason says, and I blink a few times, being brought back to reality by his smooth voice. "Just relax. I'll make you something to drink before the guests arrive," he adds, his deep, blue eyes pinned to my own. "What would you like?"

"Coffee, please?" I murmur timidly, following him towards the bar, feeling like a kid at a supermarket that doesn't want to leave his mother's side.

"How do you like your coffee, Davina?" he asks, walking past Declan, a guy that I was introduced to when I crossed the threshold right after I'd arrived.

"Two sugars, lots of milk," I reply, glancing shyly at him.

"Yes, ma'am," he says and shoots me a megawatt smile, a smile that I haven't seen yet until now, and it's a very wide, beautiful one that causes a dimple to appear in each of his cheeks.

With a spare minute to myself whilst Mason is preparing my drink, I turn my head behind my shoulder, my eyes fall upon a girl that's pacing through the sections, making sure that each of the tables is set with napkins, wine glasses and cutlery.

She introduced herself as Isabella Marie Andre but she made it clear that she prefers to be called Imaan — a nickname consisting of the first few letters of her full name. Even though I hate to admit it, I'm already jealous of her. Her hair is long and curly, its ginger colour so alike to the flames in a bonfire. Her face is flawless, adorned with pretty freckles, her lips raspberry pink, vibrant and full. Her body is petite, so diferent to my curvy one, the only thing that we have in common is the colour of our green eyes. Nevertheless, I find her intimidating.