⋆27༄ Sticker bomb

Hello everyone! Hope you're doing okay! Another chapter is out. Enjoy it! Thank you for sticking to this story <3

__________

Fresh and icy like a chilled glass of mojito. Cool-toned green, changing the shade from Jade Stone, through clean mint, eventually reaching the Malachite hue, depending on the light. There are even days when the colour transforms into a breath-taking lime. His eyes are simply captivating, and I find myself having missed the way they look.

I watch him spread his slim legs wider, his elbows remain propped on the armsets of his beach chair. The tangerine sunlight of the evening glints off his signet rings, which adorn his fingers.

"You alright?" He raises a faint, yet disarming smile.

"Sure," I respond with my heart thumping in my chest.

Having heard my answer, he winks his eye at me and shifts his head back to the person he was just chatting to.

"You're different around him." A discreet voice startles me from my relentless admiration for Nathan. "I've only realized."

"What do you mean?" I stoop, collecting a bottle of water from beside my chair.

"Nathan. You seem very calm in his presence, just like you used to be," he makes this remark, and I chew on his words.

"And it would have stayed this way, if you hadn't helped Will with his insane idea," I whisper back, my eyes widen. Never before have I told Kai that I am aware of his involvement in the crime that they both had committed by stealing from me.

He suddenly blanches. My abrupt statement must've astonished him.

"About that," he begins tentatively. "I shouldn't have. It was wrong."

"You don't say." I roll my eyes, drifting them back to Nathan who laughs at some story that his friend is animatedly telling him.

"You know that I didn't do it to create a mess in your life, right?" he quizzes, and I snap my head in his direction. "I did it for money."

"What do you mean?" I frown, addled, but also thankful that all of us are seated quite separately. No one can overhear our conversation.

"Will offered to pay for the new equipment that I'd had to obtain. In exchange for a favour obviously."

Sometimes it's still hard to believe that Nathan and Kai have been friends all along, and that Kai helped Will regardless of that, but as he said, maybe he really didn't mean to ruin the relationship that Nathan and I once had. He did it for money, just like I joined the S&S company for the exact same reason, so I didn't have to eke out my living, which thanks to the amount that I'd been left with back then, would have been impossible anyway. I couldn't blame Kai for striking a deal with his loaded friend.

"It doesn't matter. What's in the past, stays in there," I reply in a conciliatory tone, which causes an involuntary smile to blossom upon Kai's face.

Guilt would probably consume this poor guy, if he found out that at some point in my life, thanks to the illegal transfer of my money, I almost ended up in some Playboy mansion. Also, if Nathan got informed about him having a hand in it, Kai would definitely break into a fine sweat.

"I think that we should start the bonfire. The sun began to set," Jeremy points out, his eyes wander from Nathan to everyone else, excluding me.

Since we arrived, he's been acting bitter towards me, and I haven't got a clue why. I'd maybe spoken to him once or twice throughout the whole time I'd known him for.