⋆33༄ The room

Hello! Sorry for not updating for 2 weeks but I've been finishing off the project I've been working on, so I'm proud it's done. Can't tell you what it is yet. Thank you for being patient! Xx

_________

𝓓𝓪𝓿𝓲𝓷𝓪

It's been almost two weeks. Anaya was back in Edinburgh. Mason and I had a talk, which was mostly me monologuing about all the reasons why I couldn't keep having casual sex with him. I told him about Nathan and my uncertainty towards Will. Mason being Mason, only laughed, patted me on the shoulder, and said 'Don't stress, darling. But if you need a good shag, you know where to find me.' We stayed friends regardless.

Today was the 2nd of August — Nathan's birthday. We spent a lot of time together during those nearly two weeks. We went cycling, visited a skatepark a couple of times because Jeremy insisted on doing so (he seemed to have finally tolerated me more), did some book shopping, which was still quite strange to see Nathan getting all excited about his brand new, hardback copy of Pet Sematary by Stephen King. We had dinner at my house and watched some movies. Surprisingly, my father didn't freak out seeing the tattoos on Nathan's body. Instead, he said 'These are fucking awesome. ' My mother whacked him on the head for swearing in our presence, as if we had never used such words. My father also said that he wished he wasn't such a coward who fears needless, otherwise, he would get some inks himself. Those two weeks were really good, but even though we got quite close, this proximity didn't reflect on our physical relationship.

"Ready?" My father waits by the door. "Or do you still need to use the other half of your perfume after you've already sprayed the first half on yourself within the last half an hour?" He laughs, beyond amused.

I roll my eyes, red-cheeked from rushing around. I grab Nathan's birthday present into my hands. "Now I'm ready."

"Let's go then."

We leave the house and get into my father's car. He offered to give me a lift, but said that I need to order a taxi back home because he's got work in the morning.

He pulls out onto the road. "You still like that boy, don't you?" He glimpses over at me.

"Who?" I frown.

"Nathan, of course. I've never seen a woman spend so many hours on getting ready. Not even your mother made such effort for me." He laughs again.

"It's a birthday party. Everyone is going to look nice. I didn't want to stand out," I mutter awkwardly, peering down at the high-slit dress that I'm wearing. It's Ferrari-red, quite long and spaghetti-strap. It's the best frock I own.

"Oh, you definitely will. You look amazing, darling." He smiles, but his eyes are focused on the road.

The corners of my scarlet lips tip up. "Thanks, dad."

"About your mum, Davina . . ."

"Can we not talk about it right now?" I sigh. The last thing I want is my party mood to get ruined.

"She loves you, sweetheart, you know that, right?" His stare is warm. "She's just worried. She doesn't want you to get hurt in any way."

"Why didn't she come downstairs and say it herself then?

My father lets out a heavy breath. "She's tired after work. She was afraid you'd start arguing again. She didn't want to make you upset before the party."