Chapter 17

When I wake up in the morning I'm alone again. That's always been dangerous, even before Hydra. I blinked slowly, stretching only satisfied when my elbows make a distinct crack. My usually blank mind was currently overflowing with small tidbits of information, all fitting into a puzzle... somehow. I picked out a few names, Bear and Bucky, I don't remember who either of them were but I was determined to find out.

Steve walked in with a plate of chocolate chip pancakes. "Morning Jr." he says flashing his bright smile. I just give a faint smile and nod. "After breakfast I want to try something." He says handing me my plate.

We eat in relative silence, Steve's phone resting between us in case I need to type anything. I hesitantly reach for it, noticing how Steve eyes me intently.

I have a question

"Ok shoot."
My face dropped.
"I'm sorry not best choice of words, what's your question?" He says chuckling quietly.

Who's Bear, and Bucky?

"Well Bucky is your brother ... basically. And Bear is your puppy."

I forgot my own brother
Tears start to slowly fill my eyes.

"Hey hey hey, don't do that to yourself. It's not your fault. I'll help you remember him okay?"

What was it you wanted to try

I type wiping my eyes with my sleeve.

"Here look at these." Steve pulls out a different phone and holds it up to my face momentarily. It unlocks showing a picture of dad and I after my first mission. Steve opens the photos and scrolls through picking a random one.

"Now can you tell me, who in this picture is Bucky? And do you recognize anyone else?"

I take a moment examining everyone. Steve was in the picture, that much was obvious, I had my arm sling around his neck with the brunette next to me. Another darker skinned man with some sort of wings posed in front of us at the camera. I slowly pointed to the brunette, he seemed familiar but I couldn't put my finger on it.

"Yes! That's Bucky! You remembered!" He shouts excitedly throwing his arms around me. "Okay now another one."

He keeps scrolling to a picture of a shorter man with dark hair and chocolate brown eyes. He was in some sort of, suit? It was bright red with gold highlights with his face plate lifted. He was smiling brightly while laughing at Steve who appeared to have fallen.

"Do you recognize him?" Steve asks pointing to the man in the suit.  I sat for a minute studying the image. It's like I had seen it for the first time.

I shake my head no slowly. Steve looks disappointed but tries not to let it show.

"That's okay, Jr that's your dad, Tony."

Were we close?

Steve just laughs, "very, you and your dad were two peas in a pod. You always have been close."

And my mom?

Steve stays quiet for a minute trying to compose himself.
"JJ, your parents were in a car accident when you were young. Your mom didn't make it kiddo. I'm so so sorry."