Chapter 32

I woke up as the smell of waffles drifted into my room.

"Ms Stark Mr. Rogers would like everyone to report to the kitchen." Jarvis announced.

I got up and out on the sling brace Bruce instructed me to wear. It took a few minutes to figure out all the buckles and straps but eventually I got it settled.

"These smell great Steve. Why don't you cook more often?" I ask.

"ROGERS YOU BETTER NOT BURN DOWN MY KITCHEN!" Dad shouts from downstairs.

"That's why."

"Hey Steve can you make-"

"Chocolate chip waffles with strawberries, blueberries and a small amount of whipped cream on the top with a glass of orange juice. If that's your question, then yes, I can make that."

"Thanks Steve you're the best." I wrap him in a hug and a smile creeps onto his always serious face. "I'll be back in about 15 minutes, I've gotta find Bucky."

"By JJ."

. . .

"Dad?"

"In the lab."

I made my way down the few stairs into the lab, "hey dad?"

"What? Are you feeling ok? Is something wrong? Are you hurt? What's going on?"

"Dad I just wanted to ask how long I have to be in the brace?" I ask laughing.

"You're gonna be in it for a while. But seriously, how are you feeling. You haven't talked much since our little chat last night."

"I'm fine."

"I call bullshit."

"It's just...a lot. But I'll be fine. I'll get through it."

"Jr you know you don't have to do this alone."

"I know. It's just I don't know. I thought I'd feel at least a bit better after telling you. But I still feel bad, like I'm hiding things from the rest of the team. But I'm not ready to tell them yet but I don't know what to do."

I had started pacing by now with my right hand combing through my hair. My left arm confined to the brace but my fingers were still moving animatedly.

I suddenly feel a pair or arms wrap around me.

"Breathe JJ. Just breathe."

I decide to just stay tucked next to dad for a few minutes. His arms were always the safest place.

"Jr they are gonna understand. I promise. If you decide to tell them, you get to choose that moment. They will understand, I promise. The only reason they are gonna get mad is because you were hurt. But they would never be mad at you."

"Thanks dad."

"Anytime kid."

. . .

3 weeks later I found myself sitting in the medbay with Bruce checking the progress of my shoulder.

"It's still not healed fully, but it is healing nicely. In a few weeks we should be able to start physical therapy which will help you regain your strength."

"Thanks Bruce!"

"Anytime kid. I'll see you in a bit."

. . .
"Naaaaaat? Naaaat where are you? Come entertain me please. I'm boooooored." I shout from outside Nat's door.

"Come on you're coming with me." Nat mumbled grabbing my collar and dragging me with her.

"Oooh where are we goin?"