Chapter 35

Am I writing this instead of doing my psych homework, yes, yes I am. But as promised here's the next part!

Peter and I camped out on the couch while binging Disney movies. After Peter grabbed his drink from the kitchen he paced back and forth behind the couch every once in a while stealing a glance at his phone for the time.

"Peter stop pacing, you're scaring me."

"I'm sorry I can't help it. I need to do something, I need to be moving. I can't just sit here knowing she's in critical condition."

"Peter there is nothing you can do right now." I tried to reason.

"Jr you don't get it, she could die!" Peter shouted aggressively flailing his arms. He instantly realized his mistake. "Jr, I'm so so sorry I didn't mean to, I'm just angry and I didn't mean to take it out on you I'm so-"

I cut him off by pulling him close to me with my right arm.

"I know you're upset, I know it's just something that flew out and you didn't mean it. I have to take Bear outside, come with?"

"Sure."

Peter and I sat outside for over an hour just looking at the dark night sky. When it reached the point where we could no longer feel our noses or fingers we trudged back inside heading to our rooms.

"Jr, can I...uh sleep in your room tonight. I don't think I can be alone right now."

"Yeah I'll grab the air mattress."

"No let me grab it, your arm."

"Thanks for the reminder I'm crippled." I tease throwing a pillow at Peter.

"Ha ha very funny, it's in the storage closet by your dads room right?"

"Yeah the one on the left."

"I'll be back."

Once we got the air mattress set up Peter settled in with his pillows and blanket. I had put on Star Wars but neither of us could seem to get any shut eye. It was around 2:45 when Peter finally drifted off.

Me-hey Ik it's late but are you up

Cal- I'm always up if you need me JJ ;)

Me- haha very funny, but seriously do you have a minute

Cal- of course, and bc it's you I might even have 2 minutes... I'll ft you

I could basically see his giddy grin from behind the screen.

Incoming call from Cal

"Hey Calvin."

"Hey babe, what's up? Why are you still up?"

"I could be asking you the same question Lockhart."

"I asked first."

"Peter just fell asleep, I can't seem to get any sleep myself."

"How's his aunt doin?"

"Last we heard she was in surgery, but she was pretty critical before that. It's really still all up in the air."

"And Peter?"

"He's doing as well as he can. He's super stressed and he feels guilty but there's literally nothing he could've done. But I'm keepin an eye on him."

"And you?"

"This isn't about me. This is about Peter, I need to be there for him in case he needs me."

"Babe as much as this is about Peter, you're allowed to have emotions and feelings. I know with your mom this can't be an easy situation for you, and I know you want to stay strong for Peter but you have your breaking point too."

"I need you Cal." I whispered more to myself than anyone else.

"I'll be over first thing tomorrow morning. And I'll even bring you guys bagels."

"Just come over now, it's not like I'm gonna get and sleep anyway."

"You will get sleep because I will sit here on this FaceTime call with you until you fall asleep. Now lie down and just close your eyes."

"Always so demanding Lockhart." I joke.

"Uh hun, now go to sleep."

After taking Calvin's advice I kid down trying to get comfortable, just listening to his steady heartbeat.

"Jr knock knock! You have a visitor!" Dad called from the other side of my door.

"What time is it?" Peter grumbled from under his pile of blankets.

"It's like 9:30, go back to sleep if you need to."

I grabbed my hoodie off the end of my bed throwing it on before skillfully making my way to the other side of the room towards the door. I opened the door to see dad standing with Calvin nervously shaking in front of him. His collar grasped tightly in my dad's hands.

"Caught someone tryin to sneak up into your room 15 minutes ago." Dad explained only tightening his grip.

"I know dad, I'm sorry this is my fault I told him to do it-"

"No it's not, he already told me. I know I said two weeks but given the circumstances go ahead. And Lockhart next time you try to sneak in, you will go unnoticed more if you bring me bagels. Have fun kids, but not too much fun and Jr you better use condoms."

"Ewww dad, who needs condoms anyway. I can't get pregnant."

Dad went to argue that point before realizing, "just, be safe please."

"I know I know we will, don't worry we're capable of taking care of ourselves."

Dad left the room grumbling.

"Don't get me wrong I don't care, but are you on...the pill?" Calvin stammered nervously.

"Yeah, something like that. Anyway! Bagels?"

"Yup three bagels, on for you, one for Peter and one for me."

We sat just continuing to watch the Star Wars movies for a couple of hours before I heard dad on a call.

"Yes we can arrange for that....within the hour definitely. Of course, I'll see you soon."

"Dad who was that?" I asked sneaking out if my room discreetly.

"It was the hospital."

"How is May?"

"Not so hot, she's really struggling. They want Peter to be brought in to talk about dnrs and things like that. Unfortunately it's come to this point. But there's still a chance. I want to leave in about 15 minutes."

"Can Calvin come?"

"Yeah JJ, he can come."

"I'll let Peter know."

"I'll be in the car, you kids meet me when you're ready."

"Alright dad."

I made my way back into my room and shut the movie off. Peter was already back asleep and Calvin looked close to dosing off himself.

"Peter wake up, we've got to go to the hospital. The staff wants to talk to you." I explained shaking his shoulder.

"I'm up I'm up." Peter yawned stretching and grabbing his clothes while going to change in the bathroom.

"How's his aunt doing?"

"Not so good, they want Peter to consider a dnr and other end of life options." 

I walked up to Calvin simply wrapping my arms around him and burying my head in his chest. He hugged back holding me close.

"Do you want me to come with you guys."

"Please."

"Alright I'll go, just let me change quick."

Within 10 minutes we were all sitting in the car silently as we drove to the hospital to see May.