Chapter 23

Steve POV

"Bring her over here." I call pulling down the sheets on Jr's bed so Bucky could comfortably place her down. Bucky very cautiously stood up holding an exhausted Jr in his arms. She would stir occasionally but Bucky was quick to lull her back to sleep.

He gently placed her down on the bed as we watched her tense muscles finally relax a bit.

"She's really been taking it hard Buck."

"I can only imagine. I'm so so sorry doll." He whispered leaning down to kiss her forehead. "It's not your fault. I'm not mad, I promise."

"I'm gonna go get some training in, anything you need?"

"I think I'll just stay here with Jr. I told her I'd be here when she woke up, and she really doesn't need anymore empty promises."

"Alright you know how to reach me if you need me."

Jr POV.

I woke up to the buzz of the tv in the background. I slowly open my eyes adjusting to the light of the room.

"Bucky?" I mumble.

"Hey doll, how are you feeling?"

"I'm good."

"You know you don't have to lie to me. I genuinely want to know. I'm gonna ask again and I would like the truth, how are you feeling?"

"Kinda shitty. And exhausted. And just overwhelmed. But I should be asking you, how are you feeling."

"I'm fine doll."

"I'm really sorry Bucky."

"Nah ah none of that. It was not your fault. You had no control over what you did and I know you Jr, you wouldn't hurt a fly. Unless it stole your ice cream." Bucky teased.

"So you're not mad, like at all?"

"Of course I'm not. Why would I be mad?"

"Bucky I hurt you. And you were almost dead. I was sent on a mission to KILL you guys and I put you in a coma. How can you not be mad about that?!" I ask barely holding on to my composure.

Seeing me distress Bucky sat on the bed pulling me into his lap. "Because I love you doll. It doesn't matter how much you hurt me, I'll still love you and I'm never going to be mad for something you didn't want to do."

My ability to hold back tears dissipated as Bucky continued his speech. His subconscious response was to hold me tighter, like I'd slip away if he didn't hold on tight enough.

"I don't care if I have to tell you every day, I won't stop saying it. I'm not mad, I love you, and you have nothing to be sorry for."

"Promise." I ask holding my pinky up. When I was a little kid I would always make Bucky pinky promise on things. It became a routine after a few days.

"Promise we can call mommy and daddy later."
"I promise munchkin."

"Promise you'll be home soon."
"I promise doll."

"Promise the shot won't hurt?"
"I promise, and if it does you can paint my arm. How bout that?"
"Wait can I still paint it if it doesn't hurt."
"Sure, but you gotta behave."
"Promise?"
"I promise babydoll."

"Promise we get to prank uncle Stevie?"
"I promise."

"I promise." Bucky replied wrapping his right pinky around mine. "Now get your shoes on we're going for a ride."