Chapter - 3

'The fact that I can't stop loving you even after knowing that you will never be mine hurts like hell...'
                                                              -Anaisha

Upon reaching his destination, Idhant came out of his BMW.

Nostalgia hit him hard when he read the name of his college - ALL INDIA INSTITUTE OF MEDICAL SCIENCES, NEW DELHI.

Thousands of memories occupied his mind upon seeing the lush green grass and the beautifully designed building.

"Hey Idhant..excited to see someone?"

Turning around, he found Bhavin present there.

"Care to explain yourself, Bhavin?"

"Ahh well...I don't have to explain anything. You know well what I mean."

Idhant had an idea of who he was talking about...his ex-girlfriend, Niveda.

"Bhavin, don't you think we should get going if we don't want to be late?", he tried to divert the topic and guess what...he succeeded.

They both moved towards the Jawaharlal Nehru Auditorium.

Soon after, Anaisha also entered the auditorium. She was catching up with her friends and sitting beside Zaisha.

While moving towards his seat, Idhant noticed a certain someone.

'There She is!' - Anaisha - his former best friend whose thoughts were clouding his mind ever since he had come to know of this meet. Anaisha who was animatedly chatting with Zaisha and her other pals was unaware of the intense gaze of Idhant, the person she was dreading to meet, on her.

Those sterling grey eyes, that radiant skin, those long hair adding to her beauty, that aura of simplicity and elegance that she carried, that anarkali of the color he liked to see her in and those luscious pink lips mesmerized him. 

Mentally kicking himself for having such perverted thoughts about his ex-best friend, he moved to sit on his seat which was exactly behind her. He was not able to comprehend the reason behind such thoughts when he had never thought of her romantically except that casual flirting here and there which did not mean anything in reality. She was his best friend with whom he could share anything and everything and who left his world suddenly like she never existed before.

While talking to Bhavin who was seated beside him, he stretched his legs. His feet accidentally touched Anaisha's who had her feet placed under her seat. They both froze on their spots.

Slowly, Anaisha turned behind and came face to face with her ex-best friend for whom she had developed  and still had some unrequited feelings.

She took her own sweet time to take in his features - expressive dark brown eyes which if not seen carefully could be mistaken as black, thick black silky hair, lean and fit body, well defined jaw and that black colored kurta complementing his skin. Coming out from her la-la land, she quickly turned around and moved her feet forward.

This sudden and innocent contact brought back innumerable memories.

During school and college, whenever he used to sit behind her, such contact was a normal thing. Actually, at that time, it used to be intentional to irritate the hell out of the other person by pressing or hitting his/her feet!

Both came out of their pool of memories when union HRD minister, director, dean and HODs of all departments entered. Everyone stood to welcome them. Director, Dr Randeep Guleria, started his speech and welcomed all of them. Then, dean disclosed the purpose behind this meet.

"The union HRD minister had come to tour the college and he wanted to honour some of the alumni and alumnae of our college. That's why a sudden meet was organised. I am thankful to all those who made it on such a short notice. Over to you, sir!"

The HRD talked about the health index of the country, medical facilities available, campaigns to promote rural health and steps needed to be taken to ensure well-being of the citizens. He urged all of them to contribute their best to ensure that everyone, whether rich or poor, was properly tended to.

Then the ceremony to honour them started. Everyone of them present over there was the best in his/her field.

After the ceremony ended, all of them were left to themselves to enjoy.

While all of them were sitting playing games, updating each other about their lives and reliving the memories they created here, a peon came and informed them that Idhant and Anaisha had been summoned in Dr Randeep's cabin.

An awkward silence prevailed between both of them on their way. Leave any hi..hello, not even a nod or smile of acknowledgement was shared.

Idhant was angry at her for breaking the long and beautiful friendship they shared without even giving any reason while on the other hand Anaisha was guilty for doing that but she also knew if she had not done that, she would have lost her sanity. What began as a small crush in 9th standard transformed into love and she did not even realise! Only when during their internship, Idhant told her that he finally asked Niveda, their batch-mate and a really attractive girl, out, did Anaisha come to know the depth of her feelings.

She was in desperate need of some space to sort out her emotions. That's why she did not remain in touch with him after their graduation.

No, she was not over him. She still loved him but she had come to terms with the fact that they were not meant to be.

They reached Dr Randeep's cabin and knocked. They heard a 'come in' and entered.

Dr Randeep smiled seeing his students who both had achieved a lot at such a young age.

"Good Afternoon Sir!"

"Good Afternoon Dr Anaisha and Dr Idhant...how are both doing?"

"Wonderful sir!"

"Ah..that's great. Please sit."

They both sat and Dr Randeep started speaking," We all here at AIIMS are proud of you both. Actually, we are going to conduct a seminar for our fourth year students. Some of them want to go on with the medical field only while some of them want to go for civil services after their graduation. So, I was wondering if you could interact with them and guide them."

Seeing the look of pride on Dr Randeep's face, they both felt content. The feeling that your family and teachers are proud of you is something out of this world!

They both immediately accepted the offer and decided to take part in the seminar which was going to be conducted the next day.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hii people!

Hope you enjoy reading this chapter.

Was Anaisha right when she distanced herself from Idhant or should she have dealt with the matter some other way? Do let me know your opinion!