2 || a man out of time

Brooklyn saw me, empty at the newsThere's no water inside this swimming poolAlmost over, had enough from youAnd I've been praying, I never did beforeUnderstand I'm talking to the wallsI've been praying ever since New York-Ever Since New York, Harr...

There's no water inside this swimming pool
Almost over, had enough from you
And I've been praying, I never did before
Understand I'm talking to the walls
I've been praying ever since New York
-Ever Since New York, Harry Styles

Brooklyn saw me, empty at the newsThere's no water inside this swimming poolAlmost over, had enough from youAnd I've been praying, I never did beforeUnderstand I'm talking to the wallsI've been praying ever since New York-Ever Since New York, Harr...

August 15th 2012
Manhattan, New York City

A man in a white shirt and beige joggers throws hit after hit at a shaky punching bag. Sweat beads are gathered on his brow and his blue eyes are slightly glassy. The gym's empty except for him. He throws one last, especially hard punch, sending the bag flying off its hook and onto the wooden floor. Panting, he picks up a new punching bag and attaches it to the roof.

A figures stand in the office to his right; a woman.

"Trouble sleeping?", the woman, Aurelia Stark, asks.

"I slept for seventy years, Aria. I think I've had my fill.", he replies.

"Then you should be out, celebrating, seeing the world.",  she tells him, taking a few steps closer to him. "I can recommend some good nightclubs.", she half-jokes, pushing aside all fear of what happened at the S.H.I.E.L.D base and focusing on the bigger picture

"Believe me, you've already forced me into seeing enough of the world.", he smirks at the woman.

She steps closer, so she's just behind him, and places a gentle hand on his shoulder, "I just want you to be okay. You know I do."

He stops punching and walks over to the bench with a sigh, unravelling the tape off his hands, "I went under, the world was at war, I wake up, they say we won. They didn't say what we lost."

"Look, I know the world's not perfect,", she acknowledges, "far from it. But if we can make it even slightly better, we should, shouldn't we?"

"You here with a mission?", she just nods, "Trying to get me back in the world?"

"Trying to save it.", she hands him a file on the Tesseract, along with other files on HYDRA'S projects.

He tenses at seeing the picture of the Tesseract, "HYDRA's secret weapon."