12 || when all is said and done

Clear-headed and open-eyedWith nothing left untriedStanding calmly at the crossroads, no desire to runThere's no hurry anymore when all is said and done-When All Is Said And Done, ABBA

With nothing left untried
Standing calmly at the crossroads, no desire to run
There's no hurry anymore when all is said and done
-When All Is Said And Done, ABBA

Clear-headed and open-eyedWith nothing left untriedStanding calmly at the crossroads, no desire to runThere's no hurry anymore when all is said and done-When All Is Said And Done, ABBA

August 17th 2012
S.H.I.E.L.D Hellicarrier

The four of them sit around the table in the briefing room, Tony, Steve, Astrid, and Aria. Aria sits in between the two men, staring at the back of her father's head, as tears roll down her pale cheeks. Coulson's death plays on all four of their minds, whilst they sit in silence. Fury stands at the head of the table, turning over Phil's cards in his hands.

"These were in Phil Coulson's jacket. Guess he never did get you to sign them.", he tosses the cards onto the table, blood smattering the glass. Steve picks up one of him saluting, which is soaked with a thick scarlet liquid. "We're dead in the air up here. Our communications, location of the cube, Banner, Thor. I got nothing for you. Lost my one good eye. Maybe I had that coming.", everybody just sits in silence for a moment, "Yes, we were going to build an arsenal with the Tesseract. I never put all my chips on that number though, because I was playing something even riskier.", Fury explains, "There was an idea, the Starks know this, called the Avengers Initiative. The idea was to bring together a group of remarkable people, see if they could become something more. See if they could work together when we needed them to, to fight the battles that we never could. Phil Coulson died still believing in that idea, in heroes."

Tony stands up, eyes trained on the ground, and walks off. Aria pushes her chair backwards, it screeches as it scrapes along the floor before she gets up and heads in the opposite direction Tony did.

"Well, it's an old-fashioned notion.", Fury says.

Clint groans and strains as he tries to fight Loki's mind control, his entire body strapped down to a table. Aria runs in, taking a place at Nat's side, as the two of them watch over him.

"Clint, you're gonna be alright.", Nat tells him, clasping Aria's hand.

"You know that?", he chuckles breathily, "Is that what you know?"